Frequently Asked Questions, read this first!

Discussion in 'Get Help!' started by c0wg0d, Jun 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Here are the answers to our most frequently asked questions. Please read all pages of this post before asking any questions on the forum.

We have a wonderful community that is eager to help you if you cannot find the answer to your questions here. You will get a much faster response by posting on our forums than if you email Sandlot support or send a private message to our moderators. It is also likely that your question has already been answered before, so we encourage you to search the forums before posting a question. Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 34
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. c0wg0d

What are the rules on The Sandlot?

Our rules can be found here: http://www.sandlotminecraft.com/index.php?pages/rules/

How do I join The Sandlot?

To join The Sandlot, you must register your Minecraft name on our website and apply for the whitelist

Our server is whitelisted. This means that only players which we have approved may join it.

You must be 13 years of age or older to register on our website. If you are under 13, you must have a parent or guardian create an account for you. An account on our website is required to play on our server.

Once your registration is completed, your application will be reviewed by a member of our staff. This may take up to 24 hours. When complete, you will receive an approval or denial email, with either instructions on how to connect or a reason that you were denied.

For detailed instructions on how to create an account on our website and apply for the whitelist, click the spoiler button below:

First, click the orange "Sign up now!" button or the "Log in or Sign up" button at the top
    [​IMG]

Fill in your Minecraft account name where it says "Your name or email address"
    [​IMG]

Fill out the form, using your Minecraft account as the name
    [​IMG]

After clicking Sign up, you will get a notification that we are awaiting confirmation
    [​IMG]

You should get an email that looks like this, click the link to confirm your email address
    [​IMG]

Once you confirm your email address, you are able to login to the full website
    [​IMG]

The whitelist application is now part of the website registration, so you should receive another email saying you are approved to login
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 23
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. c0wg0d

How long do I have to wait for my whitelist application to be processed?

The Sandlot is run by volunteers. We try to be as diligent as possible and check our whitelist application queue several times a day. Your application should be processed within 24 hours, but real life does happen and sometimes it takes longer. If you have not heard back after 48 hours, please check your email's Spam folder.

How do I connect to The Sandlot / What is the Server Address?

The Server Address is server.sandlotminecraft.com. To connect to The Sandlot, first you must be whitelisted. If you have not yet filled out the Whitelist Application, follow this link to do so.

To add The Sandlot to your Minecraft list of Multiplayer Servers in Minecraft: Java Edition, start up the game, then click Multiplayer, then click Add Server, then fill out the form like this:

[​IMG]

For Minecraft (also known as Minecraft: Bedrock Edition), see the guide on how to connect to The Sandlot for your device by following one of the links below:

I can't connect, what's wrong?

There could be many reasons for this. Perhaps our server is down, or perhaps Minecraft's servers are down. You can check the status of Minecraft's servers at the unofficial site https://minecraftstatus.net.

If you have verified that Minecraft's servers are working and you still can't connect, the first thing to try is restarting the Minecraft Launcher. Also check that your internet connection is working properly.

If you still can't connect, you may try to connect directly to The Sandlot using the IP address:

Connecting with the IP address is not recommended and may have undesirable results, and the IP address could change in the future. Only attempt it as a last resort.

How do I protect my stuff?

We have a very neat and easy to use protection plugin. When you place your first storage chest, a protected area is automatically created around it. You can easily resize this later, or move it or make new ones. The amount of area that you can protect is limited by your rank and time played on the server. For more information, there is an incredibly easy-to-understand video in the next question's answer.

Can you protect my stuff for me?

In most cases, no. Moderators are very busy, and it is incredibly easy to do it yourself. Just watch this video:

I've been robbed / griefed! What do I do?

We make it incredibly easy to protect your own things from grief or theft. You are responsible for protecting your own stuff. If you choose not to do so, you bear the full responsibility for repairing any damage done by other players. We will not roll back damage on unprotected builds. We will still investigate and consequence griefers, but you are on your own to fix the damage if you decided that it wasn’t worth your time to protect your stuff.

To let us know about a robbery or grief, post in the Report a Player forum with the following information:
    • What world the robbery/grief occurred in
    • The coordinates
    • What was stolen/griefed
    • Who stole/griefed you (if you know)
    A player is being rude, mean, or breaking a rule! What do I do?

First, politely remind the player to follow the rules. Sometimes players get really excited or frustrated and make mistakes. A simple reminder may be all that is needed. Second, ask a helper for advice or assistance. However, if the violation is serious or repeated, make a note of the time and server (creative, easy, etc.). Report this information to a senior helper or moderator using private messaging, or by writing a note in the Report a Player forum.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 20
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  4. c0wg0d

Is Minecraft free?

No, Minecraft must be purchased to be able to play on The Sandlot. It costs $26.95 USD as of this writing, and you can buy a digital copy at http://www.minecraft.net.

How do I buy Minecraft?

You can purchase a Minecraft prepaid card from most retail outlets, or pay for the game directly from http://www.minecraft.net.

What is my Minecraft name / IGN / in game name / account name?

Your Minecraft name is the name you see when you type chat messages in the game, and the name that is displayed in a tag above your head to other players. This is the name you must use when filling out the whitelist application to join The Sandlot. If you aren't sure what that name is, head to http://account.mojang.com and sign in with the email address and password you setup when you first purchased Minecraft or activated a Minecraft prepaid card. When you login, there will be a section labeled My Games. There it will list Minecraft and your Profile Name. This is the name we need. In the example below, the Profile Name is TheUnderminer.

[​IMG]

To find out more about Minecraft names, see here: https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/articles/4408950195341

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 16
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. c0wg0d

What is the launcher?

The launcher is the application window that first displays when you launch Minecraft on your PC or Mac. The launcher allows you to download the current and all previous versions of Minecraft, and allows you to setup profiles if you have multiple Minecraft accounts (such as when two or more people share the same computer). It also lets you specify custom resolutions and allocate more memory to the game.

The Minecraft Launcher.

[​IMG]

For detailed information about the Minecraft Launcher, see here: https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Minecraft_Launcher

What is a profile?

A profile is a group of settings contained within the Minecraft Launcher. You can have an unlimited number of profiles. It can specify things like what version of Minecraft to launch, display resolution, allocated memory, and what folder to use for your Minecraft world saves and screenshots. If you ever have difficulties connecting to The Sandlot, it's a good idea to create a new profile in the launcher.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 17
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. c0wg0d

Does The Sandlot work with Minecraft: Pocket Edition?

No. The Sandlot is not compatible with Minecraft: Pocket Edition.

Does The Sandlot work with Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition?

No. The Sandlot is not compatible with Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition.

Does The Sandlot work with Minecraft on the Xbox One X or S, or the Xbox Series X or S?

Yes!

Does The Sandlot work with Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition?

Yes! This version has been renamed to Minecraft for Windows.

Does The Sandlot work with Minecraft on PlayStation 3?

No. The Sandlot is not compatible with Minecraft on the PlayStation 3.

Does The Sandlot work with Minecraft on PlayStation 4 or 5?

Yes!

Does The Sandlot work with Minecraft on the PlayStation Vita?

No. The Sandlot is not compatible with Minecraft on the PlayStation Vita.

Does The Sandlot work with Minecraft on the Nintendo Switch?

Yes!

Does The Sandlot work with Minecraft on Google Android devices?

Yes!

Does The Sandlot work with Minecraft on Google Chromebooks?

It should, but we have not tested it.

Does The Sandlot work with Minecraft on the Apple iPhone or iPad?

Yes!

Does The Sandlot work with Minecraft on Amazon Fire devices?

Yes!

Can I connect to The Sandlot using a Mac?

Yes!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 18
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. c0wg0d

What version of Minecraft do I use to play on The Sandlot?

In most cases, The Sandlot strives to let you play using the latest version of Minecraft. In some cases, such as after a major update to Minecraft, The Sandlot might take time to update to that version. Any major changes like that are typically detailed in posts on our Announcements forum. You are encouraged to check there from time to time for important information.

• Like x 15
    • Useful x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  8. c0wg0d

I changed my Minecraft name, but it still shows my old name on The Sandlot! Why?

When you first join The Sandlot in Minecraft, you are placed in the lobby. At the time you connect, your Minecraft account is synchronized with your Sandlot forums name (this website). If a valid forums account is found which matches your Minecraft name, they will be linked. This means that if you change your Minecraft name, it will automatically update your name on our forums the next time you join the lobby.

If your current Minecraft name does not match any name on our forums, it will not be linked and will not update on the forums. Ask any moderator to change your name on the forums to your current Minecraft username, and then when you go to the lobby, it will be synchronized properly.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 17
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. c0wg0d

Who are the players with green names?

Players with green names are members of The Sandlot Moderator team. These are the people you can talk to if you have any problems with other players or if you are experiencing technical difficulties.

What do the pink, yellow, and blue stars next to player's names mean?

On The Sandlot, the different stars (asterisks *) next to player usernames can mean one of three things: VIP/Donator, Helper, and Elder.

VIPs are members who have donated money to The Sandlot to support its operation. By doing this, they earn the VIP rank, and a gold star next to their usernames. To find out more about our VIP rank, follow this link.

Helpers are players who assist Sandlot Moderators in keeping this server safe, and they have pink stars next to their usernames. They are also great people to ask for help if you need it, or if you just need someone to talk with.

Elders are respected community members who have been formally recognized for their superior building skills, technical expertise, and outstanding maturity. Elders are designated with a light blue star. Elders assist Sandlot Moderators in creating new server maps and attractions, and they are permitted to build in areas designated for Elders only.

How do I get help in-game?

A player can simply use chat to ask other players for help with any issue. If no-one right there can help, the player can ask a helper for assistance. Even if a helper is playing on a different server, they will come to assist if asked. Our helpers are listed here: https://www.sandlotminecraft.com/members/?type=helper

To find a helper, type /glist and you will see a list of everyone currently playing on The Sandlot. To contact a helper in a different server, use private messaging by typing /pm <username> or /msg <username>.

Players should seek help from other players and helpers first. However, for serious problems, a player may ask a moderator for help. If a player presses the tab key, s/he will see if any moderators are online in the top left corner of the list. Moderator names will have green text. Use /pm <username> or /msg <username> to contact a moderator. If you do not get an answer right away, the moderator is probably helping someone else. Be patient and try again in a few minutes.

How do I become a VIP?

All the details about our VIP program can be found here: http://www.sandlotminecraft.com/index.php?pages/vip/

How do I become a Helper?

In order to qualify for the Sandlot Helper rank, a player must show the following traits:
    • Be at least somewhat active on the forums, by posting, sharing, and answering questions.
    • Be active and helpful in in-game chat.
    • Be friendly and respectful to others in-game.
    • Demonstrate a knowledge of the server rules, and have no serious offenses (bans, etc.).
    • Have been a regular player for at least six months, with several logins per week.

Helpers are hand-selected by the Sandlot Moderator team. Please do not volunteer for this position. If we think you fit the bill, we will contact you. You will not be considered if you are begging to become a helper or constantly volunteering yourself. Humility is a virtue.

How do I become an Elder?

Elders are hand-selected by the Sandlot Moderator team. You cannot volunteer for this position. If we think you fit the bill, we will promote you.

How do I become a Moderator?

Moderators are hand-selected by the existing Sandlot Moderator team. You cannot volunteer for this position. Being a Moderator requires high technical proficiency of Minecraft, and is a massive responsibility. If you ask to be a moderator, it is likely that you are not a good fit for the position.

• Like Like x 27
    • Useful Useful x 5
  10. c0wg0d

How do I read coordinates in Minecraft?

If you need to submit a bug report where the location is important, it is necessary to include the coordinates of where the problem occurred. Coordinates are a series of three numbers, which are labeled as X, Y, and Z. To see your coordinates, press F3 on your keyboard. If you are on a laptop, or you have function (F) keys that share a key with another, you might have to hold down a key labeled Fn and then press the F3 key. Once you do this, your screen will have lots of text on it like this:

[​IMG]

The XYZ coordinates are listed in the second section of text on the left side of the screen. You can easily get the coordinates by looking at the second line beginning with Block. In the example screenshot above, the coordinates are:
    X: 90
    Y: 71
    Z: -112

To get rid of the text on the screen, press F3 again.

For more information about coordinates, see here: https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Coordinates

• Like Like x 14
    • Useful Useful x 4
  11. c0wg0d

What is Java? Do I need to install it?

Java is the programming language used to run Minecraft: Java Edition. You DO NOT need to install Java separately. When you install Minecraft, the correct version of Java will automatically be downloaded and used. If you need to know what version of Java you are using, press F3 on your keyboard and look in the top right corner of the screen. Press F3 again to turn off the debug information.

• Like Like x 14
    • Useful Useful x 3
  12. c0wg0d

How do I change my skin?

Minecraft allows you to change your appearance by changing what is known as your "skin". There are several websites where you can download new skins, or even allow you to create your own. We cannot guarantee that the content on these sites are appropriate for all our players, and therefore we will not link to them.

New skins must be uploaded to your Minecraft account here: https://minecraft.net/profile

After they are uploaded, they will be visible on your character almost immediately. Log out of the Minecraft Launcher, then log back in if it still doesn't show up.

How do I change my avatar / skin on the forums?

Your avatar is automatically updated to the skin you are using on your Minecraft account. For this to occur, your forum name must match your Minecraft name exactly.

You cannot manually upload a different skin. If you show up as Steve or Alex (the default Minecraft skins), then it is likely the website where we get the avatars from is down. Be patient and it will resolve itself.

• Like Like x 15
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Beautiful Beautiful x 1
  13. c0wg0d

I have been banned! What do I do?

If you have been banned from The Sandlot, you may appeal your case and ask for your ban to be pardoned by filling out this form. Do not send private messages to the moderators, and do not post anything about your ban on the forums. Repeated begging/pestering will not help your chances to get your ban pardoned. Fill out the form and be patient for a response.

But I accidentally made a typo or I don't know why I was banned!

We have a chat filter that automatically bans you if you say anything we deem inappropriate for our players. Sometimes, spelling errors can cause you to be banned, and sometimes it's unclear why that is. There is no perfect chat filter, but we err on the side of keeping our players safe rather than letting something questionable through.

In the cases of simple miscommunication or offenses that are very minor, you may be unbanned by a moderator without any appeal necessary on your part. These types of bans are typically looked at a couple of times per day, and there is no harm in just trying to reconnect after a period of time to see if your ban was pardoned.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    • Like x 18
    • Useful x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
  14. c0wg0d

How do I take a screenshot?

To take a screenshot in Minecraft, press the F2 key on your keyboard. If you are on a laptop, or you have function (F) keys that share a key with another, you might have to hold down a key labeled Fn and then press the F2 key.

By default, screenshots are saved in your ".minecraft" folder as PNG files. These files can be viewed in most image viewers and web browsers. To find the folder where the screenshots are saved, follow these instructions:
    • Start Minecraft
    • Click Options
    • Click Resource Packs...
    • Click Open resource pack folder
    • This will open your File Explorer (PC) or your Finder (Mac)
    • Go up a directory
    • Open the screenshots directory
    How do I share screenshots on the Sandlot Forums?

Due to bandwidth costs, The Sandlot website does not host images locally. If you want to share a screenshot or picture on the forums, you need to use Imgur. For detailed instructions on how to do this, see here: http://www.sandlotminecraft.com/index.php?threads/how-to-post-images-v2-0.20189/

• Like Like x 15
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. c0wg0d

Are mods allowed?

Mods are not officially supported on The Sandlot. Any mod that gives you an advantage over another player is considered an exploit, and is therefore not allowed. Using mods that allow radars, map overlays, damage indicators, cave indicators, flying, x-ray, or any other type of cheating will result in a permanent ban from The Sandlot.

Can you please add shiny-new-thing to The Sandlot? It's so much fun!

We always love to hear your ideas on how to make The Sandlot even more awesome. Feel free to start a discussion on the forums with your ideas, just don't feel let down if we reject your idea.

Can I record YouTube/Twitch videos on The Sandlot?

Yes! Feel free to record and post as much video on The Sandlot as you like. However, make sure you read the next question and answer about advertising!

Can I advertise my server / YouTube channel / Twitch channel / website / etc. on your forums or in-game?

You can share videos you make on The Sandlot on our forums as long as they are 100% kid friendly and follow all our rules. Please always keep in mind that you cannot share your YouTube channel / Twitch channel / etc. in-game. If we feel your videos do not adhere to our rules, they will be removed.

It is never OK to advertise for another server using ours. We don't know anything about other servers, including whether or not it is a safe place for children to play. The last thing we want is to send kids off to a place full of foul language and hate.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    • Like x 19
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • Friendly x 1
  16. c0wg0d

Am I allowed to build an AFK (Away From Keyboard) machine?

No, unless you are a VIP. If you are a VIP, you will not be kicked for being AFK/idle, and therefore an AFK machine will do you no good anyway.

If you are not a VIP and you are found using a machine that circumvents an AFK kick, you will be banned.

Am I allowed to keep redstone clocks running 24/7?

If any kind of redstone clock is left running on our Creative server, your plot will be deleted and you will be banned.

If you have a sensible redstone clock left on in our survival worlds, such as a hopper timer that activates every few minutes, that is acceptable. If you are ever in doubt, post on our forums for clarification on exactly what you are trying to do or achieve.

• Like Like x 16
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. c0wg0d

Where is the server located?

We use OVH-US as our host, and the server is housed at their datacenter in Hillsboro, Oregon, USA.

How often do you reset the map? Will my builds be around forever?

We only reset our maps when it is absolutely necessary, either due to overcrowding or new Minecraft patches that introduce things that can only be found in newly generated chunks. Whenever we retire a map, we offer it for download, so that you will never lose your creations and can keep them and load them up yourself to play whenever you like. In that sense, it is feasible that you can keep your builds "forever," just not on our server.

You can count on your builds being around for anywhere from 3-9 months (depending on Minecraft updates and how old the map was when you started). When maps are reset, we reset everything. Your inventory, the whole world, and any economy balance you may have is all wiped and we all start over fresh.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 16
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Beautiful Beautiful x 1
  18. c0wg0d

• Like Like x 22
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status: