Motion Sickness Woes

Discussion in 'Get Help!' started by Prodeje79, May 28, 2017.

1. Prodeje79

Prodeje79 Master

I don't get sick in any other game. I play COD, Quake, CSGO,etc. It is not just your server. It is all minecraft. I am attempting to teach my son, and this seemed like the perfect place. He is doing great, but I cannot go long before getting sick.

I've researched this. I've came across great threads on reddit and other places. Besides tweaking FOV and view bob, it appears I need to turn to some shader/texure pack of sort. It appears my sickness is linked to the heavily pixelated nature of the graphics. The really blocky/choppy/unsmooth look of the game apparently messes with my motion sickness. :(

HELP! :)

tl:dr
    Turning off view-bob and FOV does not help.
    No other game makes me sick.
    Am I able to use shader/texture packs and not be cheating?
    What ones should I check out? I've came across Optifine and Fusion.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. piegosaurus

piegosaurus aesthetic Helper VIP

It's not cheating at all to use shaders and/or texture packs :D. I don't know Amy a specific ones that could help, but you might want a texture pack with a higher resolution (the standard is 16x16 pixels, some can go up to 128x128 ) Hope you can sort it out :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. CreeperSword

CreeperSword Master

Faithful 32x32 is really nice. (The newest version is called Faithful 1 By MrVizzy and Vattic)
    Whenever I take it off, MC looks weird to me.
    The only negative is when you're on fire, the fire on your screen is higher.

• Like Like x 2
  4. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Motion sickness can also occur because of a reduced framerate. You should start by turning off the weapon view bob and increasing the FOV as far as it will go (as you suggested already), and installing Optifine to maximize your framerate.

If none of this helps alleviate the issue, then you may certainly try any shaders or texture packs you'd like--as long as they do not give you any kind of advantage over other players.

I'm not sure what else to try beyond that. I'm sorry that you experience this and I hope you can work something out to allow you to play!

• Like Like x 2
  5. LifeLearner

LifeLearner The One Who Knows Moderator Elder VIP

I hope you find a solution. I also suffer from motion sickness while playing Minecraft. It is worse when I have not played for a while and return to the game. The more I play, the less affected I am.

The first thing I did was remove the bobbing animation. That helped. Then I suppressed clouds, because they are another form of movement in my periphery that is not caused my my actions.

Another issue that affects my motion sickness is the collision effect. Being inside an animal pen, as when shearing sheep, is very difficult for me. This is because I am not controlling the movement. I can only shear sheep or breed animals for a short time, and then I have to do something more stationary like enchanting equipment or brewing potions.

Scrolling chat can also have an effect because it is peripheral movement when I am trying to play. As a moderator, I see a lot of chat. Sometimes, I have to stop doing whatever I am doing in the game and just focus on the chat. You can either take a moment to read the chat, without playing, or you can turn it off.

Since you are helping your child, I imagine this could be worse if you are not controlling the movement. I sometimes have difficulty watching my son play. If you are looking over your son's shoulder, maybe you can change to helping him from inside the game with your own account. Then, at least, you are controlling when and where the avatar moves. You will still see chat and can look at his screen if needed.

Other suggestions are regularly looking away from the screen at the wall or out of your window and taking deep, relaxed breaths.

Good luck! Please let us know if you find a solution. Other players (like me) might also benefit from your testing.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Virgeric

Virgeric Social Distancing since 1982! Moderator Elder VIP

Don't underestimate this comment. I get a bit queasy just watching over the shoulder of my kids. I don't get it at all when I am using my own avatar. I am not sure if you are playing with your own account in the same world as your son, or helping him play his account.

• Like Like x 2
  7. memows

memows ESTP-T | Artist | Scuba Diver

Try taking a non-drowsy Dramamine or some other motion-sickness-preventing medicine? I have never experienced this so I can't do much to help.

8. AndromedaJulie

AndromedaJulie Official Namer of Pets Helper

oh. my. gosh.
    this is completely eye opening.
    I assumed it was all me, because I have a vision issue plus some vestibular stuff anyway.
    I'm not sure I understand all these suggestions, but when I finally find the time to get back on here, I can't wait to try some of this out.
    Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Abbz05_

Abbz05_ Abbzolutely Amazing Joke Teller Moderator Helper VIP

Another suggestion is to change your sensitivity level (the speed of your avatar looking around when you move your mouse). If it's too high it can cause dizziness/nausea. I changed mine when I first started Minecraft because it made me sick.

10. FastPablo1

FastPablo1 Faster than a speeding Pablo! Helper

All I have to say is 'woah'.