Sandlot Hardcore Relaunch: Available now!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by c0wg0d, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cxttoncandy

cxttoncandy slay queen Helper VIP

My only problem is I'm in trouble without /tpa xd

• Like Like x 1
  2. CaptainFinner

CaptainFinner The Funny One Helper VIP

Woohooo! Yay! THANK YOU SO MUCH C0W!!!

3. ShadowKeen

ShadowKeen Ham's son VIP

Love it so much thanks c0w and whoever helped with it!

4. Virgeric

Virgeric Social Distancing since 1982! Moderator Elder VIP

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AndromedaJulie

AndromedaJulie Official Namer of Pets Helper

Also, c0w, could we have the "Recipe" help command?

And, WOW, RatMazeMind, thank you!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kyukuro

Kyukuro Elegant Builder of Pointy Structures Moderator Elder Helper VIP

Some random observations/feedback I have:

• The terrain is phenomenal! It's really fun to explore (and I'm sure it would be even better to build in...)
    • Chest loot seems too good, especially early on in survival. It's low-effort, high-reward -- but I guess that encourages exploration.
    • Death is almost meaningless. Players are killing themselves to respawn in a better location, or to restore their hunger bar/health.
    • The achievements are great. They really enhance the gameplay.
    • You get hungry too quickly. After eating steak, my hunger bar began to deplete ~10 seconds later, when standing still.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

This will be enabled after tonight's restart.

Yeah, I figured that would probably happen. Death has a very serious penalty if you want to compete for the leaderboard, but if you don't then there's not much of a downside, other than being spawned in a random place.

I'm not sure why this would be. I didn't change anything having to do with food or hunger other than cancelling the event that heals you when your hunger pops are full.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kyukuro

I think this was a problem in the old UHC, too. I don't know for certain, but it seems like when your hunger bar is full and your health bar isn't, the game/server is trying to give you the regeneration effect, but because it's UHC, it doesn't work - but your hunger bar still responds to it, as if you were actually regenerating.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. RatMazeMind

RatMazeMind Fully vaccinated rodent Moderator Elder VIP

I suspected the same thing. I was full health for much of the early game and barely had to eat. Then I went down a heart and it seemed like I had to eat a lot more (or at least the first hunger pop or so disappeared quickly.)

For some sure, but not for true diehards! My only death seemed inevitable, but I hope it will be my last. ;)

As far as achievements, the HoePlowings is greatly OP. Someone (though I would never do it :oops:) could just run up and down a field with a hoe and easily rack up 610 points in a few minutes. By comparison, a wither kill is listed as 500 points. Probably should tone down those rewards or go by harvesting totals instead.

The explorer achievements (number of steps on foot I think) are pretty easy to get too. I haven't ventured far, but I think I have them all just by working on my little home and mine. Is there any way to track how many original biome types (plains, taiga, mesa, etc.) a person has visited? I've seen a plugin do that before for custom achievements, but I don't know which one it was. That would be a cool way to measure true exploration of the map. EDIT: Actually it was vanilla MC that measures that somehow for the Adventuring Time achievement.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Virgeric

Virgeric Social Distancing since 1982! Moderator Elder VIP

This is fine. For those that want to compete, it serves their purpose. For anyone else, they can die to regenerate - remember this is early in the cycle when people haven't done much, but they won't like to die and respawn randomly once they have built a base and then have to travel to get back to it.

As for points, I hear the arguments. I think some things will just be easier than others and we should only fine tune things if, in practice, they are being abused. It doesn't really present an uneven playing field since everyone can take advantage of the same things.

11. The hunger issue is real, and the OP lootable locations appear too many...otherwise, excellent.

12. Roxie238

Roxie238 Master

So excited to check this out! I'm glad to have an actual Hardcore!

13. zilory

zilory Watching the days go by Elder Helper

I have a few suggestions:
    1. A command to toggle the leaderboards
    2. A command to see the achievements
    3. Have the achievement announced in smaller text at the side of the screen instead
    of large text in the middle of the screen.
    3. A message for entering spawn just like there is an message for leaving it.

These are all adjustments purely for appearance but I think would make for better game play. Otherwise I couldn't have hoped for a better UHC server :)
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bezoarnut

Bezoarnut Artisan Elder VIP

If you wanted to have deaths after #9 still have a continued worsening effect on the leaderboard score, instead of a linear effect on the multiplier with a ceiling, you could use an exponential decay function.

For example, maybe a multiplier of: (0.5) ^ (# of deaths / 4) --> every 4 deaths would halve what your maximum score would have been, and it would continue to have an effect beyond the 9 deaths you currently have the penalty 'maxed' at.

-----

Wish I weren't working overnight -- work seems to have finally figured out how to IP block the Minecraft authentication servers, so I can't try out the new server till tomorrow :(

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. c0wg0d

I knew I could count on you to kick the math up a notch @Bezoarnut. :D I'd definitely be up for changes if people are interested in trying them out.

Just as an aside, I have open-sourced all the custom code I wrote. Any of you that know programming (or are just learning it @LegoBoyo) are more than welcome to look over my code and offer improvements. I'm still a rookie at this kind of stuff!

https://github.com/c0wg0d/SandlotHardcore

• Like Like x 4
  16. zilory

zilory Watching the days go by Elder Helper

Also in my opinion the custom desert temples spawn to close together. I just saw 5 from standing in one spot and considering the pretty good loot they have its a bit OP. Also I don't know if it matters but the skeleton skulls that spawn in the temples sort of remove the value of skulls - at least skeleton skulls.
    I think you should also show deaths when you hover over player names

• Like Like x 2
  17. Kyukuro

We are unable to complete the zombie pigmen achievements. It doesn't seem to register as a zombie pigman kill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. KRiskKaT

KRiskKaT Piecing it together Moderator Elder Helper VIP

:eek: Visit, I may. Die, I shall. :oops:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  19. c0wg0d

I think I fixed this now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AndromedaJulie

AndromedaJulie Official Namer of Pets Helper

1. Since setting a home base, I have died 2 or 3 times, and I have not had trouble finding my way back home. It probably took me a day or so of running plus crafting axe/sword and killing a couple chickens. This is not a problem. It's just feedback in terms of the size of the world and what it means to be lost.

2. I cannot impress upon you how much I love this landscape. That is one aspect of MC that has gotten old, so anything you want to mix up there is very cool (someone found pink and purple clay!). Thank you for the gigantic flower forest and dream climbing trees!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1