Scheduled Maintenance: Wednesday, December 16th

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by c0wg0d, Dec 9, 2015.

1. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Maintenance will begin at approximately 8pm Arizona time, and will last for several hours, depending on how the maintenance goes.

To find the time in your timezone, see here: http://everytimezone.com/#2015-12-16,900,cn3

This maintenance is not going to be fun, and it is going to require a lot of patience, understanding, and commitment from all of you. I am likely not going to be my cheery c0w self, and might not even be chatting much, because my eyes will be on the log files.

I am desperately eager to determine the cause of the Proxy kicks that keep happening to everyone. I know I am not the only one being affected by this, and I am very sorry that it's happening. In fact, it appears that there are an average of 10,000 proxy kicks every day. This is unacceptable, and I am glad that I finally have time to dedicate an attempt to fix this issue.

Here is my plan.

I am going to shut down all servers except for the lobby. I am going to disable all plugins in the lobby (after making a complete backup of course). After all plugins are disabled, I will need as many people as possible to join and disconnect repeatedly, chat, and otherwise act "normal" to see if the proxy kicks continue. This will allow me to determine if the fault is with the server software itself, or a plugin. If all goes well with this initial test and the proxy kicks cease, I will slowly start re-enabling plugins one by one, with a restart after each, to determine if and when the proxy kicks start happening again.

The following things are going to happen and are to be expected. These are not bugs, but are simply the affect of disabling plugins.
    • All Sandlot servers will be offline except for the lobby.
    • Chat is going to look "weird" and will not be formatted as you are used to.
    • Hover text on people's names will not work.
    • If you have changed your Minecraft name through Mojang since joining the Sandlot, that will be your name during this maintenance window. It will be reverted back to your Sandlot whitelisted name after the maintenance window.
    • The tab list will be the default Minecraft one.
    • Your enderchest contents may be wiped. It will be backed up, so don't worry about losing anything.
    • Your inventory may be wiped. It will be backed up, so don't worry about losing anything.
    • The magic wands will not work, nor will pet eggs or spell books.
    • The teleportation book will not work, nor will any /warps.
    • There will be no pets.
    • There will be no disguises.
    • There will be no flying, or /me, or any other VIP benefits.
    • None of the signs will do anything.
    I will be online at the time and informing you via in-game chat when I need to restart the server.

I am very sorry that I am likely ruining an entire evening of Sandlot time for you all, and I will really appreciate if we can get several people online at the time to stress test the server and determine if the issue is resolved or not.

Thank you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

• Like Like x 19
  2. Kyukuro

Kyukuro Elegant Builder of Pointy Structures Moderator Elder Helper VIP

Good luck with the maintenance. I hope you can find the source of the Proxy kicks.
    It'll be at 3AM, so no interrupted Sandlot time for me.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Virgeric

Virgeric Social Distancing since 1982! Moderator Elder VIP

I'll be there and willing to help, even if only to be a warm body in the lobby.

Well, cold-blooded body that is ......

• Like Like x 2
  4. edwardkgh

edwardkgh Sandlot's Owl Helper

Good luck!

5. bizarr0

bizarr0 Master Moderator Elder VIP

I think giving up one evening of sandlot to get rid of Proxy is a good trade. I think we've all been proxy kicked enough to last a lifetime in the last few weeks.

Thanks for dedicating an evening to do this. I'll be online at that time to help be a body or in any other capacity you need.

Biz

• Like Like x 2
  6. TrueVioletMU

TrueVioletMU Adept

Thx for notifying us about these, c0wg0d. We are able to keep track of Sandlot with these special posts :D

7. TrueVioletMU

TrueVioletMU Adept

Hopefully I'll be on then, I'm not sure. Best of luck! :)

8. LifeLearner

LifeLearner The One Who Knows Moderator Elder VIP

I will give Lego and Paddler a day of from school the next day so they can perform Community Service that night. We three will help you stress test.;)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Avatar_plays_MC

Avatar_plays_MC Help I'm stuck in a simulation!

Thanks for telling us in advance!
    I won't be missing Sandlot time, it's 10:00 pm for me at that time :rolleyes:

10. Waddles_MC

Waddles_MC Artisan Helper

good luck! i hope the issue will be resolved, i would come but i sadly cannot.

11. _Razz

_Razz Redstone Warrior Moderator Elder VIP

I'll come on to lend a hand c0w. And I will try to "act normal" as you said as much as is humanly possible. Well you know me...

• Like Like x 6
  12. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Well normal for you is spawning crazy mobs and entertaining the crowd, which we will need. :)

• Like Like x 5
  13. Wodddie

Wodddie Weird Science! Helper

this is perfect because I have a school potluck thing on that day
    good luck c0w

oh dear imagining all the confusion with the name changes

• Like Like x 2
  14. StarWarsFan42

StarWarsFan42 Master Helper VIP

I'll try to make it.

I'm usually in bed reading then, but I should be able to make it for a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Monkey_Chicka

Monkey_Chicka Insert coffee to start Moderator Helper VIP

Thanks for all this hard work, Cowgod! It's greatly appreciated! :) :) :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gamedude3

Gamedude3 Master VIP

Good luck and thank you for all of your hard work! I wish I could be on at 8 so I can join and disconnect but I can't use the computer past 8 :(

• Like Like x 1
  17. KRiskKaT

KRiskKaT Piecing it together Moderator Elder Helper VIP

I will be interested in the play by play, if someone will write it up for the lurking fans who can't miss school/work the next day.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Cepheusz

Cepheusz Propaganda Panda Elder Helper VIP

It's ok. We understand. Hope it goes well and thank you for your hard work :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. NotSighless

NotSighless Your neighborhood cat lover

Yes, The Proxy Kicks are bad :(
    And also the Time Outs... I have a pretty good network,
    But this is becoming out of hand.
    Thanks for fixing this, @c0wg0d

20. LegoBoyo

LegoBoyo Pop Culture Enthusiast Elder Helper VIP

I think I will be there to help test. And make sure no proxy kicks or bugs are there.