Update to The Rules

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by c0wg0d, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Xovyota

Xovyota Has A Creative Title

Thanks c0w!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mickeyheart

Mickeyheart Grandificent Grandmama Mickeyosity Moderator Helper VIP

These rules are easy to understand and I think they will be very informative for any players reading them. Thanks c0w!

3. memows

memows ESTP-T | Artist | Scuba Diver

Should we post images in the comments, or should we keep using other sources and post them as a link?

Also, what are the preferred sources? I know that Deviantart, Wysp, Imgur other art/image-sharing sites could count as a social media sites...

4. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Imgur is the preferred option, and as far as I know the only site that allows hotlinking. You should not be posting links, but instead using the "Image" button in the editor so that the image is embedded directly in the post.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dotted_

Dotted_ Master Helper

I have a question, is parental confirmation have more authority over the rules? And mods cannot control over if a player from sandlot invites another player from sandlot to a realm world if they do not know, so what would be the consequences of that rule if the mods did not know because the players did not tell?
    • Do not send invites to or join a Minecraft Realm with other Sandlot players.
    I do not see any way mods could control whether this happens or not, especially if the parents say the child can do it.

• Do not attempt to contact anyone from The Sandlot outside of our own servers and forums.
    Again, I can see no way mods would have any way to know if someone has done this or not. Since mods are not the parent/s of the child/ren, and would not be there to tell whether it has been done or not. Some of these rules I question but others are very reasonable and I agree with them fully, but some of these rules are very questionable on to whether the player will know these things are dangerous.
    • Do not discuss politics or religion in public chat, or in private chat with players who are not interested.
    Again, question on this one, why can religious people not share their religion with others who have the same religion? I'm a christian and I was taught to tell others about my religion from adults I know, wouldn't that be going against what I've been taught? I'm sure many of us have these questions but are too afraid to speak up because of authority (I mean who isn't afraid of authority, except authority.
    I was also taught to respect authority, and I do not mean to disrespect by asking these questions.
    The first two rules are uncontrollable for mods unless someone tattles, and my parents always say "Don't tattle tail, its mean, unless someone is hurt."
    But back to the topic of my post, the main question is
    What if our parents say we can?

6. Avatar_plays_MC

Avatar_plays_MC Help I'm stuck in a simulation!

The rule does not say that you cannot private message others with the same religion and talk to them about it if they are willing to. It only says that you cannot do that in public chat and with people who are not willing to. I'm pretty sure that you can do what you suggested (just a speculation though- don't quote me on it)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LifeLearner

LifeLearner The One Who Knows Moderator Elder VIP

The bottom line for all of these rules is to create a safe environment where children can play Minecraft with others. Online safety is a major concern for us, and hopefully for you too. As you know, we have strict controls on Sandlot that are both automated and human-powered. These same controls do not exist on many other sites. This leaves children vulnerable on those unmoderated sites.

The Sandlot was created as a safe space for children. We take our promise to protect these children very seriously. One way we protect them is by trying to prevent people from luring them to other sites. Strictly prohibiting the sharing of outside communication information is the first step in that effort.

You are correct that we would not know if a player issued a Realms invitation, unless they sent it to a moderator (which has happened). We do not want players talking about Realms anywhere on Sandlot, including conversations. And, we certainly want to discourage players from accepting Realms invitations from people they do not know. Realms are totally unmoderated, and therefore can pose a serious safety risk for children. The intent of this part of Rule 1 is so that players do not ask one another in chat, "Do you want to join my Realm?" Again, we do not want Realms discussed in any way on Sandlot.

What we can see are players who give out their names for other game sites, skin sites, Skype, email, etc. The intent of this part of Rule 1 is to discourage players from even being tempted to ask someone to contact them somewhere else.

@Avatar_plays_MC is correct. You may share your religious beliefs with like-minded players in private chat. Because everyone has to see the public chat, we do not want religion discussed there. If a player says that they do not want to discuss religion, then we want the other player to respect that person's wishes.

Your parents are ultimately responsible for your safety. However, your parents cannot tell you that you may share information on The Sandlot that we have forbidden. Should we discover that a player has shared prohibited information while playing on The Sandlot, then we will impose a consequence on the player(s) who shared. It is also likely that we will notify parents of all involved players to ensure the parents know what took place. Again, we take your safety very, very seriously.

I appreciate what your parents are telling you with respect to family matters and sibling disagreements. I will say that, with respect to online safety, I disagree with this policy. If someone shares personal contact information with you, or asks for your personal contact information, then we hope you will tell us. This is very serious. You do not know who other players are in real life, and they might not just be asking you. They could be sharing information with/asking for information from a very young child. While you may be able to ignore these efforts, a young child might not be as aware. You have a responsibility to tell us so that we can protect all Sandlot players. Also, you would have no way to know if the other player was being harmed by these actions.

If you have more specific questions, you may send a conversation to me or any moderator.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. zilory

zilory Watching the days go by Elder Helper

Adding on to life:
    Even if the parents allowed their child to do this what about the child at the other end? Are they allowed? Also the person at the other end may not be your friend or a child.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Cyan

Cyan Adept

This is why I like the Sandlot. It keeps you safe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cyan

Cyan Adept

Thanks for the like! The problem is I fail at PC and don't have it, and mods never work anyways.

• Like Like x 1