How should I protect my pet?

Discussion in 'Get Help!' started by Sansaraf, Feb 21, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sansaraf

Sansaraf Master VIP

My son and I have been playing in Easy Survival for a while and thanks to a generous gift of two dogs from another player, we bred a nice little pack of dogs. They were all tamed and some had name tags.

We're in the process of building a new house and the dogs were penned temporarily on unprotected land. Sometime between when I logged off last night and logged on this morning, the dogs all disappeared. The gate was left open, so it was almost certainly due to another player (rather than a bug or something). I'm gutted because my son will be devastated.

My question: what should I be doing to protect our pets? I'm going to save up for some dog eggs to get him started again, but don't want this to keep happening.

In retrospect, keeping them on protected land (so no one can get into their pen) would definitely have been a good idea. But doesn't taming protect them? I've never tried to harm someone else's pet, of course, but when I've right-clicked on the wrong dog accidentally, the game tells me it's not my pet. I assumed (first mistake?) that this same protection would keep them from harm by another player.

Thanks for any clarification or suggestions!

2. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Other people should not be able to harm your pets in any way. One reason that pets often get lost is due to teleportation to spawn or to other players. If you have any pets near you, and they are standing up, they will teleport with you. This can sometimes be glitchy and the pets won't teleport, or will teleport somewhere that you can't see (a nearby cave, for example). My recommendation is to not teleport when near your pets, or if you must, then make sure they are all sitting first. If you absolutely need to teleport with your pets, then I'd recommend that after you teleport, do not move for several seconds to ensure that your pets appear beside you.

As for the missing pets, a moderator or other established player can easily get you setup with new eggs and nametags to save your son the heartache of lost pets. Hope this helps!

One other thing I forgot to mention: Lots of people lose their pets at spawn, so check there if you use the /spawn command frequently.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Sansaraf

Sansaraf Master VIP

Thanks for the confirmation on the game behavior. We're very careful to keep our dogs seated (we've run into the teleport glitchiness ;) ) but your mention of it reminded me of another glitch I've run into before: sometimes after teleporting, all of the animals disappear visually (you can still hear them if your sound is on). I hadn't seen it with the dogs but have experienced it with a whole lot of sheep. :D

Since I didn't have my sound on this morning, I realized that might have been the case. I just logged in to check that theory, and sure enough, they're all there.

Sorry for the false alarm! I really appreciate the quick response, the clear explanation, and especially the generous spirit in helping our kids have such a good experience online.

• Like Like x 5
  4. i used to have 15 but they all attacked when a mob hit me and ended up getting lost i may have 1 or 2 but i have no clue where they are.

5. Monkey_Chicka

Monkey_Chicka Insert coffee to start Moderator Helper VIP

I had that happen to me once in Skyblock. I logged on and my chickens and cows were gone, and I was really surprised and sad. But then I could hear them! Turns out they were there but were invisible. They would even push me around if I stood in their pen but I couldn't see them. It was so funny! I relogged and there they were. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Zapgig

Zapgig Animator

What should you do to protect your pets?

Hmm... I recommend a good giant 79 block tall wall of obsidian and iron golems protecting them...
    Jk lol

No but on a serious note, I would keep your pets in a claimed space (maybe in a house or a yard) protected behind something like fences.) offen what may happen is people will push the pets out of the claim, so I recommend placing them behind there.

Another cool trick is to place carpets on top of the fences so players can get over but animals can’t. This is because the Mob’s AI tells them it is a fence so they don’t go over. But players can.

And if you are willing to go 110% in protection I recommend making a tower with a snow golem in it, surrownded by cactuses. This way if any mob tries to come near they will be shot by the snow golem and lured into the cactus, I wish I could show you a picture right now.

Other things to note: depending on what pet you are trying to protect, protection may vary. For example: dogs like to chase skeletons so you want to keep them away from skeletons.

Or cats: you don’t need very much protection because they do not have much to worry about, they may even help you scare away creepers.

If you want to protect parrots I recommend an enclosed space or a bird cage, Parrots will follow you if you get hit by a mob.

And finally... turtles, the not yet released mob to MC, now... baby turtles are always in high danger of being killed by mobs and their eggs are stomped on by zombies, I recommend a fence cage around water and a bit of land with torches. This way nothing can harm the baby turtles.

Man this just turned into “how to protect your pets 101” lol

Hope this helps:D

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. LifeLearner

LifeLearner The One Who Knows Moderator Elder VIP

Animals can be struck by lighting, then killed or turned into mobs. You should give them a roof that extends several blocks past the edge of their enclosure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. drviccydds

drviccydds The Greatest Fictional Character VIP

Hello!
    I have some money I think should get you a couple of dogs in easy, if you want to start up your dog breeding again.
    I don't have any use for the money because I am fully set on resources for a while!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. FastPablo1

FastPablo1 Faster than a speeding Pablo! Helper

I can probably set you up with a number of dogs. I don't play easy much anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Kyukuro

Kyukuro Elegant Builder of Pointy Structures Moderator Elder Helper VIP

Your willingness to help is appreciated, but it was a false alarm.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.