How to Change Your Avatar

Discussion in 'Get Help!' started by cheracc, Sep 25, 2014.

1. cheracc

cheracc Master Founder VIP

You may only use your Minecraft skin as your avatar. This is done for several reasons:
    • It saves space on our servers - we don't have to store custom avatars
    • It prevents users from uploading inappropriate images
    • It prevents obnoxious animated avatars
    • It prevents lots of bickering from copycats, etc.
    • It creates a look of consistency and keeps the website looking "Minecraft-y"

Your Avatar does not automatically update when you change your skin. To manually update it, hover over your username in to top-right of the screen and click "Avatar". Make sure "Minecraft Avatar" is selected, and that your Minecraft username is in the text field. Then click "Okay".

That's it.

Yes, you can type any name in there. Yes, you can make your avatar be Notch. Yes, you could also make your in-game skin be Notch. Yes, you can get banned for using an inappropriate Minecraft Avatar.

I am aware that the option to upload your own exists. I am aware that it will not let you. I am aware that there is no image files less than 1 byte. This is intended. Use your Minecraft Avatar. Thanks!

2. WynterrX

WynterrX Adept Helper

I did this and it uploaded just the hair and ears of a skin that I had a while ago. Is there a way to update it to my current skin and make it so that the rest of the face shows up?

3. SantaFeRailroad

SantaFeRailroad Runaway Locomotive

No idea. I changed my skin before updating the avatar, and no dice. :/

• Like Like x 1
  4. Drzzter

Drzzter Master Elder Helper

Wyn, the white areas, I think are an issue with the skin file itself, sometimes the hat layers in some editors save as pure white, where you haven't put something already. You can fix that by using another editor uploading the skin into it and erasing all the white. Then putting that skin on.

Though the avatars haven't been updating for about a month now, I've seen lots of people complaining about it. I haven't been the brown hatted guy to the left for quite a while.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WynterrX

WynterrX Adept Helper

I downloaded my current skin directly from a skin site, and I used MS Paint for editing the skin showing as my avatar; MS Paint does not support transparency. Although I guess it doesn't matter anyways since it just wont update. I wonder what the reason is for that?

6. cheracc

The skins are all served from minotar.net

I have no control over what they look like, sorry

7. ljl23

ljl23 Master Helper VIP

If you send me your skin file I can change it to a commonly used format (I have done this several times with my brother)

8. WynterrX

WynterrX Adept Helper

Unfortunately, I don't think it will matter because my avatar still won't change. Maybe it will eventually. I'll just have to wait it out.

9. GoldenZdude

GoldenZdude Master

I'm trying to "upload a custom avatar" since the skin that is showing is wrong, can someone help me out?
    It says:
    The following error occurred:
    Your avatar's file size is too large. Please upload an avatar no bigger than 1 bytes

10. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

You can't upload your own. cheracc set the size to 1 byte to basically make it impossible to upload one. If you want an avatar, it has to be via your Minecraft account.

11. GoldenZdude

GoldenZdude Master

ok, thanks

12. koolerone

koolerone Novice

im doing it how you told us to do it but it wont update to my new skin . it hasn't in a while . Thanks

-Koolerone

13. cheracc

Try again in a few days

14. koolerone

koolerone Novice

ok :/

15. cheboib

cheboib Artisan

that isn't very helpful wat cheracc said...... click on the Steve image then type a player name to change your avatar

16. sushieater3

sushieater3 Apprentice

I did what cheracc said and it didn't show my new skin it still shows my old skin

17. RexofAvalon

RexofAvalon Master Helper

it sometimes just doesnt change.I have changed my skin quite a bit ago and it hasn't changed (though my current skins face is about the same as the one shown on here)

18. sushieater3

sushieater3 Apprentice

btw nice signature high elves are awesome

• Like Like x 1
  19. RexofAvalon

RexofAvalon Master Helper

thank you

20. Xoeteccian

Xoeteccian Craftsman