Net Neutrality - A battle for the future of the internet

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by c0wg0d, Jul 12, 2017.

1. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Cable companies are famous for high prices and poor service. Several rank as the most hated companies in America. Now, they're lobbying the FCC and Congress to end net neutrality. Why? It's simple: if they win the power to slow sites down, they can bully any site into paying millions to escape the "slow lane."This would amount to a tax on every sector of the American economy. Every site would cost more, since they'd all have to pay big cable. Worse, it would extinguish the startups and independent voices who can't afford to pay. If we lose net neutrality, the Internet will never be the same.

Today, thousands of us are protesting to defend Internet freedom.

I would urge you to talk to your parents, guardians, and any other family members you can about joining in this fight today. Send complaints to the FCC. Talk to your representatives. Tell them to go to this website to get started: https://www.battleforthenet.com/

This is really important. If we lose this fight, you/your parents might have to pay an extra monthly fee just to play Minecraft online!

• Informative x 30
    • Like x 6
    • Agree x 6
    • Winner x 3
    • Useful x 1
    • Beautiful x 1
  2. TheAfkOne

TheAfkOne something amusing VIP

Thank you for letting us know c0w.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. TruWolf_

TruWolf_ One Ring to Hyrule them All Elder Helper

Ok I will do that

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. CaptainFinner

CaptainFinner The Funny One Helper VIP

Thanks for informing us. I want to help out. I'm informing my parents now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. dwaaal

dwaaal Master

Thanks for letting us know!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. zilory

zilory Watching the days go by Elder Helper

Good to know. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Beautiful Beautiful x 1
  7. partialjewel

partialjewel Espada 4 VIP

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. x_DoomBot_x

x_DoomBot_x Artisan

Actually this is a great place where I can say I have posted a review for the ISP I am using, on this exact website that you linked, giving feedback about my current provider, CenturyLink. As a warning, please avoid CenturyLink as much as possible, because they are known for their increasingly high prices and horrible internet service, despite what the website says. If you're already in CenturyLink, I would recommend you turn off autopay if you did sign up for it. Based on reviews and personal experience, Centurylink adds unrelated fees, has a $3000 early cancellation fee(for us at least), and like I said, horrible internet service.(We signed up for 75mbps up/down but are getting 0.3mbps up/down per device, we have 12 devices, with 4 inactive normally. Doing the math, we are getting 3.6 mbps TOTAL for $30+)

That being said, I hope I didn't break a rule saying this, as this is something that I thought I needed to share as I warning.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. potaxxiium

potaxxiium Master

Thanks for letting us know! I'll tell @bizarr0 abiut this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Blaise__

Blaise__ Book Nerd

Thanks for telling everyone!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. thenameisdiamond

thenameisdiamond Sandlot Video and Audio Artist

Thanks for letting me know.

The site didn't mention anything about T-Mobile, so they aren't part of this, right?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. LifeLearner

LifeLearner The One Who Knows Moderator Elder VIP

Done. Communicated my opinion with my Representative & both Senators.

For U. S. Sandlot players: If you or your parents have not communicated with your elected officials recently, it is very easy. Ironically, this is possible because of the internet. Elected officials now have electronic communication forms you can quickly fill out to send your thoughts about issues. These links will allow you to find the contact form for your elected officials.

http://www.house.gov/representatives/

https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?OrderBy=state&Sort=ASC

You or your parents may use any or all of what I wrote here if it fits with your beliefs.

I oppose any efforts to eliminate net neutrality by major cable companies. As my elected Representative/Senator, I urge you to speak against any FCC considerations to limit or remove net neutrality. Keep the internet open for entrepreneurs and start up companies, as it is today.

Cable companies already have too much power and return too little service for their high fees. Now they are lobbying the FCC to end net neutrality. Ending net neutrality will cost consumers money, and it threatens free speech in a similar way to the corporate ownership of major news outlets.

This decision, to end net neutrality, would position large internet providers (Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, and Time Warner Cable) to dominate internet services and charge users. Users who want faster service will have to pay for it. Those who don't pay will have slow service. You know these fees will all come back to us as consumers. These companies might be able to slow or eradicate startups and small providers who presently compete. (We use one of these independent ISP's for our rural internet service.)

The internet is one of the best, independent, open communication tools available to most citizens. It allows information sharing and free speech like no other media can or will. It is really important that internet service providers are not winnowed down to major cable companies. Our democracy, and the democratic movements in other countries, absolutely depend on the freedom afforded through net neutrality. We no longer have a voice in other media (newspaper, magazine, radio, television). But average citizens can still be heard and seen through the internet.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. SomethingGreen

SomethingGreen Expert VIP

I have recently heard about this and am glad that you're spreading the word!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. LegoBoyo

LegoBoyo Pop Culture Enthusiast Elder Helper VIP

I had my parents permission to do this. I said...

Hello Senator! I do not like this idea of eliminating net neutrality. I am 15 years old and this will change my future in a bad way. If this happens, all of our lives would change for the worse. The effects of losing internet could include problems with jobs, effects on retail businesses, less opportunities to get services, and reduced recreational outlets. The cable companies will make internet expensive. People with little money will not be able to afford internet. Please stop the FCC from making the internet expensive.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Beautiful Beautiful x 1
  15. cajungirl70

cajungirl70 Artisan

Done - emailed our reps.
    I'm forwarding this link (https://www.battleforthenet.com) to friends/family as well. The more ppl protest this, the better.
    This is egregious. GrrrrrrD:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Wheesie

Wheesie Artisan

Wait - I could have my parents paying for my minecraft?! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. tuffooche

tuffooche Master

I've informed my parents, even though I'm Canadian. This still affects me, having American friends on here that need us to win this fight.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
  18. lvvrboy

lvvrboy :P VIP

This is great c0w :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. drviccydds

drviccydds The Greatest Fictional Character VIP

Thanks, c0w!
    I will spread this because I care, and because I don't want to pay a monthly fee!
    #DefendTheInternet

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tmuo

tmuo :D VIP

Thank you, c0w. This means a lot to us and we really appreciate it.

• Friendly Friendly x 2