PSA: Java 8 is now available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by cheracc, Mar 28, 2014.

1. cheracc

cheracc Master Founder VIP

Please do not attempt to play with this if you do not know what you are doing.

Lots of folks are reporting increased performance (FPS) with Minecraft after installing Java 8. It is not being pushed as the "recommended version" on the Java.com website, but you can find info on it and a link to the download (from Oracle.com) here: http://java.com/en/download/faq/java8.xml You will want the "JRE" (don't get the JDK) for your operating system. If you have 64-bit Windows, you should install both the 64-bit and x86 versions. (most browsers are going to use the x86 Java, while Minecraft will use x64 if it is available)

Keep in mind that this is a new release, and that there may be bugs. If you decide to use it, you should be ready to also do the following:
    • Uninstall Java 7 (or *shudder* Java 6)
    • Update it often. New releases often have bugs or security vulnerabilities
    • Let us know if you see improvement! Run around and measure your FPS before and after installing it.

Again, please don't mess with it if you aren't comfortable with it. In case anyone has the question, I will not be updating the server to Java 8 until it is widely considered stable. The Java version the server uses has nothing to do with what you use on your computer, so if you have the know-how to update, go ahead.

2. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Apprentice

OK! Great i'l ask my dad! Maybe i can finish "Slime" with it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. SnoopyBanna

SnoopyBanna Master Helper

Sweet. Was just able to download it safely. Later I'll test it out and see if it works. Maybe I'll stop getting 3 fps at spawn :eek:

4. Albinia

Albinia Time Lady Helper

That's very tempting...but since I have no clue how to uninstall java/reinstall it...I'll have to wait until it's a recommended version so my parents will most likely update it themselves :lol:

5. LuckyLeo

LuckyLeo Artisan Helper VIP

i don't have a clue what java is and thats ok i don't really care... ;)

6. Albinia

Albinia Time Lady Helper

it's the software that Notch used to code minecraft with.

7. LuckyLeo

LuckyLeo Artisan Helper VIP

oh..