IMPORTANT! Scheduled Maintenance tonight! (And maybe more this weekend.)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by c0wg0d, Sep 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to inform you about this maintenance window earlier. I wasn't sure when I'd have time to work on this until now.

If you don't care about details, the important bit is this: All servers will be taken offline tonight around 10 pm Arizona time and will be offline until either 1. I finish the maintenance or 2. I get too tired. If option 2 happens, I'm really sorry but I will need to take the servers offline again on Saturday. I will keep you informed about the progress as I go.

Now for the details. We're getting an upgrade! After testing the 1.14 update, I have come to realize that our current server will not allow us to run more than a few 1.14 Minecraft servers, so I have decided to rent a brand new server with more performance than our current one. I am hoping that this upgrade will help and allow us to update everything to 1.14 eventually.

Our current server has the following:

Intel Xeon E5-1620v2 4c/8t - 3.7 GHz / 3.9 GHz Turbo
    64GB DDR3 ECC 1600 MHz

And the new server has the following:

Intel Xeon E-2136 6c/12t - 3.3GHz / 4.5GHz Turbo
    64GB DDR4 ECC 2666 MHz

As you can see, we have a pretty substantial upgrade in both CPU cores and speed, as well as a large increase in RAM speed.

The maintenance is essentially going to require me to shut down all the servers, copy the data over to the new server, and start the servers backup. If all goes well, you shouldn't notice any changes.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SantaFeRailroad

SantaFeRailroad Runaway Locomotive

Ivy Bridge to Coffee Lake... woohoo!!

3. c0wg0d

The servers are now offline as I copy the data over to the new server. It's in the same data center, so the copy should be pretty quick. I will post an update when I have new info.

EDIT: The file copy is complete. I need to check a few more things before it's ready.

EDIT 2: I'm almost done. Just need to double check a few more things.

EDIT 3: I'm done! It looks like everything was migrated to the new server without any problems.

If you have any problems connecting, please try to delete The Sandlot from your multiplayer server list and re-add it. The server IP is server.sandlotminecraft.com and the name can be whatever you want. Do not use direct connect.

If you notice any problems, please tell me ASAP!

I am going to bed now but I will be up and back online when Minecon starts! I hope you can join me so we can all watch together!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  4. TinLeavesTheBin

TinLeavesTheBin the most tinsane of them all Helper

Thanks so much c0w!
    (Does this mean we might have server resets..?) * g a s p *
    I can’t wait! :D

• Like Like x 2
  5. TinLeavesTheBin

Hi! I have noticed a little bug, in dev, the progress has been set back by a bit, probably a few days-a week or so (perhaps more, though I haven't been playing on dev a lot recently so I can't be totally sure), though it's only the world, not inventories. I know that that sort of thing happens like that sometimes in dev, just wanted to let you know though! :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ildaktekh

Ildaktekh Is very Stev!

hopefully DDR3 to DDR4 speeds up the server!

7. _Hatter

_Hatter Mad_ VIP

I've been fairly inactive, so I'm not caught up xd does this mean we are on 1.14 now?

• Like Like x 1
  8. GemOLantern

GemOLantern Codin' Gopher Helper VIP

I don’t think so- if I’m reading it correctly it seems that this is a boost to the server so we can eventually change it all to 1.14, because the last one wouldn’t hold it.

(But I’ve never been the person to ask about tech xd)

• Like Like x 2
  9. c0wg0d

That's unfortunate. The server was unresponsive when I went to shut it down before copying, so I had to end the process forcefully, meaning whatever wasn't saved to the hard drive at the time was lost. This would have happened even if there was no new server migration. Sorry about this, and I will see if there's something different I can do to incrementally save the server in case a problem like this happens again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. c0wg0d

No, but this helps pave the way for it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. TinLeavesTheBin

Okay! :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Floofin

Floofin doesn’t know cheesecakes are real Elder Helper VIP

Yes!! Thanks cow, just one question. Is SvS (Normal) being updated as well? Or Skyblock? (Sorry about not being on lately, I’m on vacation and I am only coming back around 6:00 or 7:00 pm eastern time tomorrow) and just making sure, bye Tuesday the servers will be up with 1.14, correct? Btw I unfortunately cannot watch minecon and will need to stream it on my own D: Sorry if this is sloppy I am on mobile atm.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  13. KRiskKaT

KRiskKaT Piecing it together Moderator Elder Helper VIP

On Saturday, he said he moved the Sandlot to a better server that can handle the future update to 1.14. Not quite there yet ;)
    The upside is possibly less lag or better server performance now. Yay :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. trubuhl

trubuhl The Stinky Sock Moderator Elder VIP

The server seems to be humming along really nicely now I notice! *cheers*

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Envirocat

Envirocat Artisan

Good evening. Could anyone please tell me whether Sandlot easy survival is now on 1.14? If not, what should we use? (It's been awhile!)
    Thanks,
    :)

16. TinLeavesTheBin

Easy is still not on 1.14, :)

17. Envirocat

Envirocat Artisan

Thanks, _ATinOfPotatoes. Which version are we on?

18. c0wg0d

Easy is 1.8.