Can't switch to 1.12

Discussion in 'Get Help!' started by MJB6, Sep 4, 2017.

1. MJB6

MJB6 savage

I have a MacBook and I had this message on the mc home screen of my computer that says:
    "Old java detected; this will prevent you from playing in the future as Java 8 will be required."
    When I switch to 1.12, it logs me out of minecraft immediately. We tried downloading Java 8 and the download is never successful. Does anyone know what I should do?

Thanks, MJ

Btw, the computer is pretty old. Idk if this is what the problem is but I just wanted to point that out.

2. SupersonicE9

SupersonicE9 Retro Gamer Moderator Elder Helper VIP

I have a macbook, too, and I didn't update the software (the computer software) for a long time. When I finally did, I was able to get the new launcher and 1.12. Something about the software you're probably using right now likes to stick with an old version of java. (Java 6 maybe I'm not sure)

You pretty much have two options:

1. Update the computer software so it can run the latest minecraft launcher and minecraft version.

2. Somehow force the computer to start using Java 8, which the software tries to resist using in favor of an older version.

• Like Like x 1
  3. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

I tried to help MJB6 with this in game, but I am clueless when it comes to OSX. I would assume the Mac version of the game also includes Java like it does on Windows, so my suggestion is to uninstall Java as well as Minecraft, then install the latest version of Minecraft from minecraft.net, which will also install Java 8 specifically for Minecraft. I just don't know how to explain how to do that on a Mac... Can anyone else help him?

4. LifeLearner

LifeLearner The One Who Knows Moderator Elder VIP

@MJB6,

You probably need to research this issue based on which operating system/version your MacBook is using, and which Java version you need to uninstall. I have a newer MacBook, and have not encountered this issue.

The Apple website has links for uninstalling older Java versions. Just search on the Apple site for "uninstall Java."

You can scroll down the list to find your operating system. You can get your operating system details from clicking the Apple symbol (top left corner of your screen) and then clicking the top link in the drop down menu "About this Mac."

You should be able to find your Java version by opening Finder (mine is in the bottom left corner of the screen, and has a happy face icon). In the search window for This Mac, type Java. If that does not work, try JDK or JRE. For example, when I type Java, I see jdk-8u77-masosx-x64.

The Java website has a link for uninstalling Java 7 or 8 from a Mac.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MJB6

MJB6 savage

Ok thx I'll tell my parents

• Like Like x 1