I need help with a texture pack

Discussion in 'Get Help!' started by KoolWhip515, Aug 11, 2021.

1. KoolWhip515

KoolWhip515 Light and Fluffy!

heya c0wg0d, i need help with something, i have a texture pack that makes torches obsolete. i have asked several admins to see if it was fine. they all said to go to you. it says " optifine required " so would it be allowed?

2. waseric

waseric The hidden hand Sandlot Administrator Moderator VIP

The question was raised with c0wg0d, and the ruling is that the texture pack would, "give an unfair advantage over other players."

This is covered under Rule2 ,"Be Honest:" (Rules | The Sandlot - A Family-Friendly Minecraft Community (sandlotminecraft.com))
    • Do not use hacks, cheats, mods, or texture/resource packs that give you any advantage over other players.
    Therefore, please do not use the resource pack you've been asking about while on the Sandlot.

3. KoolWhip515

But it requires optifine to use and the only "mod" allowed is optifine...

4. RatMazeMind

RatMazeMind Fully vaccinated rodent Moderator Elder VIP

Mods are not allowed because almost all of them are designed to change game play in some way. The Sandlot was designed to be an "almost vanilla" MineCraft experience. The goal is to have everyone on essentially the same footing regardless of which world they're playing in.

Optifine is a different kind of mod. Optifine is allowed because its primary focus is improving performance of Java MineCraft. This means players with older or simpler computers or slower internet can still enjoy playing on Sandlot. Though it does have some features that can slightly change game play, it's worth the trade off for better performance. If Java MineCraft was better optimized and not such a beefy drain on some systems, Optifine probably wouldn't be allowed either (as it wouldn't need to exist, I guess).

The mod as you describe it would make everything fully bright and, as you stated, remove the need for torches. While this wouldn't be a big deal in some worlds like Creative or Parkour, it would change the game play in survival worlds (Easy, Normal, Hard). When mining in survival, the lack of light is a key element of the game. Making and placing torches is a part of the game.

At least, that's my take on things. Hope that helps with understanding the reasoning behind the decision.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. KoolWhip515

i see...

scene the issue was resolved do i delete the post (if i can?

6. RatMazeMind

RatMazeMind Fully vaccinated rodent Moderator Elder VIP

Nope, it can stay up so others can see it in case they have similar questions. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. KoolWhip515