Maybe Bug?

Discussion in 'Get Help!' started by StarWarsFan42, Oct 20, 2014.

1. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Maybe it's a memory issue? I know 1.8 does a lot more memory allocation than 1.7 did. I believe the default allocation is 500mb, so maybe bump that up to a gig or two, if you can spare that much? And I assume there's no stack trace in the launcher window from a crash or anything like that? No error comes up?

2. StarWarsFan42

StarWarsFan42 Master Helper VIP

Dad again ...

The current startup args are:
    -Xmx1G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn128M

1GB should be enough.

It changed them to:
    -Xmx2G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn1G

But got the same thing.

no errors come up. When I manually kill the process I see errors about closing a connection. To me that means that Minecraft was waiting for something (which is probably not important).

3. c0wg0d

I'm not seeing your name in the logs at all, like you aren't even getting to the point where you hit the server. If you do an nslookup on server.sandlotminecraft.com does it return 142.4.217.143? Can you try to connect using just the IP address? Also, you said you were last in PvP when you last logged out--is that arenas or factions?

4. StarWarsFan42

DNS looks fine:
    $ nslookup server.sandlotminecraft.com
    Server: 127.0.0.1
    Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: server.sandlotminecraft.com
    Address: 142.4.217.143

Connecting with the IP didn't change anything.

Our Minecraft name is StarWarsFan42 -- maybe look for that?

5. c0wg0d

I was not looking for the correct name. I found your name now, but there's no errors or any useful info in the logs. I'm a bit stumped... I could possibly try to tempban the account in arenas only so it kicks you back out to the lobby and then you could try to join another world.

6. StarWarsFan42

Dad with one last message for tonight.

I upgraded everything on the machine, including Java to Oracle Java 1.8 (the latest version). Still no luck.

I then followed the advice help135 had at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.worldofminecraft.com/content/having-problem-minecraft-freezing

But that did no good.

This very strange. Minecraft 1.7.10 works fine. Minecraft 1.8 locks up when teleporting. So if we are in Hub, we right-click on the sign to go Home it locks up. I stop the process, re-login to Minecraft and we are teleported Home. I type in "/hub" and it locks again. I stop the process, start again, and I'm in the Hub.

So it's doing it, but for some reason our client isn't getting the message. And it works fine with Minecraft 1.7 so it's not a networking issue.

Thanks for keeping up on this. I'll ask the kid tomorrow if they want to join another world but I'm not sure that's the issue.

7. StarWarsFan42

Dad again

I tried connecting this morning with my Mac and it worked fine with Minecraft 1.8 so it seems that it maybe a Linux problem.

8. StarWarsFan42

Dad again --

I got it working . . . finally.

I searched around and found this howto on Minecraft on Ubuntu:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/225432/how-to-install-minecraft-client

I had everything but the Lightweight Java Game Library. That seems to have made it work. We may be the only one that uses Ubuntu here but it may not be a bad idea to put this in a how-to (or, actually, just link to that article).

• Like Like x 2