Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Info

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by c0wg0d, Jul 28, 2015.

1. FastPablo1

FastPablo1 Faster than a speeding Pablo! Helper

Iv never been really techie though I do enjoy working on computers, nut I dont think that I will be doing this! ;) I say, eh.

2. luckydog2oo7

luckydog2oo7 Master

Is there a way to create a partition on a Mac to use Windows 10? I'd love to be able to play around with it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. bizarr0

bizarr0 Master Moderator Elder VIP

I did a fresh install of Windows 10 last night and I'm happy to report that it plays the current java based version of Minecraft 1.8.8 just fine.

The only thing I really noticed was that @Rif_TheMom slapped me with less trout than normal. I'm sure that will be remedied today.

I also had the chance to download, install, and play the Windows 10 Edition Beta. I can confirm, it is much like the feature limited version that I have on my tablet. I'm sure it will be updated as times goes on but it has a long way to go to be as feature rich as the current java version. For now, it will sit idle on my PC.

biz

• Like Like x 7
  4. bizarr0

There is a company called Parallels that allows you to create virtual machines with other Operating Systems on Macs. Their "Desktop 10" version will allow you to run Windows 10 soon. I know that they are working with Microsoft engineers currently to allow virtual machines with Windows7/8/8.1 to get the free Windows 10 upgrade. I haven't heard any successes or failures on a fresh install yet though.

biz

• Like Like x 1
  5. SantaFeRailroad

SantaFeRailroad Runaway Locomotive

This made me laugh so hard.

6. bizarr0

My first PC(parents bought it since my Commodore 64 died) came with DOS 3.3. I also used a Tandy TRS/80 before that. I moved on from DOS 3.3 to DOS 5, DR-DOS 5, DOS 6, Windows 3.1, WfW 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98SE, Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10. I didn't like Windows 98(for games), Vista or Windows 8/8.1. I gave them all their fair chance to be my OS of choice. I've also been running Linux since 1993 as either dual-boot or on a standalone machine.

No Hercules Graphics Adaptor here, I had a clone though. I can't remember who it was made by, I want to say it was Winbond or something like that.

Wow, JK, making me think so far back and making me feel old. It also makes me want to go take a nap! ;)

biz

• Like Like x 7
  7. OK, loaded up 10 on the 'puter...Microsoft really wants you to accept the default settings, DON'T! They have all sorts of data being reported back to them to "enhance" Win 10...I deselected almost all those options. They really push Edge to replace IE, but you can find IE if you need it (a lot of secure connections won't accept Edge as secure yet). A weird mix of 7 and 8.

Note that a new Nvidia driver will likely be needed to play Minecraft, as an u upgraded attempt to load Minecraft resulted in a crash.

10 Minecraft Bets, meh! Slow, poor graphics, won't allow me to join with my tablet. Got a long way to go...and you have to get an XBox Live account to play it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Played around with the Minecraft Windows 10 edition for a while. It's... interesting.

Pros:
    • SUPER fast. I loaded a brand new world in about a second.
    • Xbox Achievements! Yes you need an Xbox Live account, but the free version works just fine (you don't need a Gold subscription).
    • I was worried you couldn't use a custom skin, but you can upload a skin just like you do on minecraft.net now.
    • You can still use keyboard/mouse. I thought I'd be stuck using a gamepad.
    • Installation was quick and painless from the Windows Store. Having the Minecraft launcher out of the way is kinda nice, even though you lose features doing that.
    • Beets!
    • New wood types for the boats! (Birch, spruce, jungle, acacia, dark oak, etc.) Also, you can put pets and mobs inside boats! Wanna go for a boat ride @Abbz05?
    • The creative item selection takes up your full screen and shows more items at a time than the Java version.
    Cons:
    • No commands (that I could find). :O
    • You can't customize your keys! Infuriating!
    • Boats are... weird. I guess you actually have to paddle them by pressing left, right, left, right? It's lame.
    • You can't see what items are in the inventory when hovering over them with your mouse.
    • The cursor highlighting makes the blocks a lighter color rather than doing a lined block outline in the Java version. It's a little hard to get used to.

• Like Like x 11
  9. SantaFeRailroad

SantaFeRailroad Runaway Locomotive

Yes. Just use disk utility. Or you can dual boot.

10. camerongrace10

camerongrace10 Artisan Helper

So in the future there are no commands or key changing?

11. camerongrace10

I'm hoping servers won't use this. No commands on servers is a real loss

12. TheOneCrafter

TheOneCrafter PVP Master Helper VIP

This is just the Beta version, there are still way more updates to come.

13. TrueVioletMU

TrueVioletMU Adept

Minecrosoft. thats all im gunna say.
    (yes i edited c0wg0d's post. you should get the pun in about 5 minutes.)

• Like Like x 2
  14. @c0wg0d Can i still Play Minecraft on Windows 7?

15. me too cause then chaos can come and u cant even go to the lobby ur just stuck in the server

16. lets just hope i can do this on Xbox 360 Btw im going to need to get a card for Xbox live

17. No no no this cant happen to meh :mad:

18. u know that up to two peeps can be on one boat :)

19. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Yes.

Nothing about Xbox 360 is changing.

Why do you say that? It's an inferior version anyway.

I did not. That's cool!

• Like Like x 1
  20. camerongrace10

Will we need Xbox live for multiplayer?

• Like Like x 1