The official response on Factions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by c0wg0d, May 25, 2015.

1. SmolJar

SmolJar obsessed with fish and axolotls

i think c0w is right about the factions server, it just dident fit in...

2. Yoshi_302

Yoshi_302 Novice

Yes, factions was a drama filled server.

3. JessicaBP

JessicaBP Master VIP

I'm glad I made memories. I sure will miss factions but I understand it has to be shut down.

4. AQBL

AQBL Master Helper

Very true, I think it was just to much energy and rage to put into a server where so many people are friends with so many others. The tight knit community sandlot was became frayed in factions.
    Yeah on the last day we just said "meh, let's have some fun at least" and rekt our base xd, Blurbeh even raided us. But, then again, I do regret about everything I did once I founded vortex.

5. SmolJar

SmolJar obsessed with fish and axolotls

I realy dident like the factions server much at all

6. Bezoarnut

Bezoarnut Artisan Elder VIP

My End base (base 2 of 3) was also thousands of blocks off End island, with no bridge to get to it as well. But because I wanted a method to my madness, instead of just going out diagonally at random, mine were at coordinates with an X:Y in the precise ratio of the Golden Mean.

This was used as the /f home target of a 'sister faction' of another family member. If I wanted to get to it, I would temporarily join that faction, and then /f home to it, and then return to my primary faction.

This base was primarily for a huge piston-driven Enderman farm, which made max level enchantments pretty easy, even with the restrictions from enchant levels in Factions.

=====

The location of Base 1 in the overworld was chosen for 2 reasons -- one was that it directly linked to coordinates to a nether fortress with 2 blaze spawners. But, conveniently, it also happened to be on the Western border of the overworld.

That was incredibly useful because as others may have figured out, if you create a nether portal in the Nether that would try to link to coordinates in the overworld that were outside the Overworld boundaries, it would instead try to go to an Overworld portal on the legal border.

So, I journeyed ~10's of thousands of blocks directly West in the Nether until I found another Nether fortress. There, I built not only blaze farms but also a wither farm. This became Base 3. The cool thing was that a portal there would link directly to my original overworld base (one-way trip). So, this nether base, 10's of thousands of blocks away, got set as the primary faction /f home, but was always just a portal hop away from Base 1.

=====

For finding locations of other people's bases in the Overworld (limited area, so easy to cover), as folks knew, you could use the map which gave you a wide swath of E-W view of other people's claimed bases in the Overworld.

So, I made a few N-S traveling roads at ~ Y = 11 (or thereabouts) precisely placed to be able to scan the entire Overworld map for other people's bases, each covering the entire N-S extent of the overworld. By doing that, it would take only about 15 minutes for a single person to map out every single Overworld base in the factions map.

To quickly get to these roads without having to run as far, I also had roads in the nether, near the ceiling, that would allow very quick access to any of the mapping roads in the overworld. (These were also used to make quick raids on underpowered factions.)

So when Factions was active, even though I was pretty much only a single-player faction, I had the locations of every claimed base in the overworld at all times. Was handy when people dropped power :)

=====

So, that was the base structure of my pretty much one-player faction.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Mickeyheart

Mickeyheart Grandificent Grandmama Mickeyosity Moderator Helper VIP

c0wg0d, I completely understand why you have to abandon Factions. I have played it many times, and the drama is always too much to handle. I understand why this is necessary. People will be upset, but they need to understand the costs of factions and why it needs to go.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NotSighless

NotSighless Your neighborhood cat lover

this is how i do it: open the map (.zip file) and copy the folder that does not have a zipper. type in %appdata% and go to your .minecraft folder. open saves, and paste it! (make sure the folder is open)

9. JohnySandN

JohnySandN Master

@c0wg0d I totally understand, I loved factions and miss it, but I know the drama it caused and I also know how busy you and the sandlot staff is. I'm still gald I had the time I did with factions. :D

10. flamefox1

flamefox1 Master

Thanks for telling us about this c0w, I myself have never played factions therefore was quite curious about the whole thing :)

11. Darth_Pink

Darth_Pink Master

Wow, I was snarky a year and a half ago. You're right.

Dang, took me this long to figure it out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. First phase of snark, learn to identify so you know when to switch it off...congrats, on to phase 2