1.8 is Coming. What it means for The Sandlot

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by cheracc, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Hermanarchy

Hermanarchy Initiate

How do the various claim protection plugins handle user names? Are they by UUID? I would say whatever option is selected should be compatible with horse and plot ownership so you don't essentially lose everything if you rename.

2. cheracc

cheracc Master Founder VIP

They are currently done by username but obviously that will have to be updated before we can update the servers to 1.8.

3. Blokjekopf

Blokjekopf Master Moderator Elder VIP

As a concept, an option similar to Option 2 seems most appropriate.

As other have pointed out, we are a community that knows each other by our IG names. Skins can change, but we recognize each other by the moniker above our avatars or the name at the front of a line of chat. Our names are usually carefully chosen to help establish our IG identities. I would assume too, that when you change your name, it still would have to be a name that is "Available" in the MC/Mojang universe (not in use by another MC player). Obviously name changes will happen. I anticipate that mostly it will be people making small corrections (if they can), for example, I might drop the f from the end of Blokjekopf. If I had to reapply for the whitelist to make that happen, not such a big deal. IMO, those players that change their whole name will be those that really didn't know what they were comitting to when they selected their IGN.

4. Takssista

Takssista Master

I'd like to point out that, although I voted for 3 (was this a voting?), I don't intend to change my name (maybe, except, to capitalize the first letter).

5. John_Kuragin

John_Kuragin Master

I understand that this is a complex issue but here is my thoughts. Personalty I do not like option two at all. If everything that has anything to do with claims, shops, or ownership of anything at all goes completely by UUID then option two is great. Otherwise I think it would be way to extreme. Option three sounds OK but certainly not perfect. I don't like the idea of people being able to change their name to anything that they like unless a inevitably inaccurate chat filter decides that it is not ok. This would have a rather large effect on even completely appropriate names. This server has an extremely strict chat filter. I mean, you can't even say [churned milk] because some annoying you-tuber made it inappropriate somehow.

6. Ahmera

Ahmera Artisan VIP

Option 2.

7. Abbz05_

Abbz05_ Abbzolutely Amazing Joke Teller Moderator Helper VIP

I must agree, option 2 sounds best for everyone. Also, what does the UUID stand for?

8. bigbrownshark

bigbrownshark Novice

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=uuid

...sorry, could't resist.

9. Abbz05_

Abbz05_ Abbzolutely Amazing Joke Teller Moderator Helper VIP

Ah, ok. Thanks.

10. najmir

najmir Novice

Option 2. For the short time that I have been a part of the Sandlot my observation is that a Name means alot. Would I be incorrect in my assumption that there would only be a limited few wanting to change their name and even fewer who would change regularly?

I suspect the nature of the community would tend toward discouragement of name changing. As such, making it a little difficult would not hurt¿

2 cents deposited.

11. cheracc

From https://mojang.com/2014/04/minecraft-1-7-6-pre-release/

Can I already change my name? Where do I go? Will it cost? How often can I do it?
    We will enable name changing when we feel that enough users are using 1.8 or higher, so that servers have time to switch to the new player formats. We do not have any details on how name changes will be performed or any restrictions that will be required to actually perform a name change. We want it to be easy and freely available, but we also don’t want people changing their name every 5 minutes!

So it sounds to me like they haven't made up their mind yet. They also get it and feel the same way you and I do. I'm expecting it to be something like one name change once per month or something like that.

12. Blokjekopf

Blokjekopf Master Moderator Elder VIP

From
    No real details here, and I may be misinterpreting, but this makes it sound as if it wouldn't be a problem for us, from a server security/operation standpoint, right?

13. Takssista

Takssista Master

As I see it, the problem is the plugins, that need to be modified to use the player's UUID instead of the name.

14. LuckyLeo

LuckyLeo Artisan Helper VIP

Does this mean I need to change my username? Kewl.
    I really would smack option 1 and 3 out of the ball game and choose option 2.
    EDIT: so, you get an option NOT to change you Username and wouldn't need to whitelist yourself again? This is all confusing.. :confused:hock:

15. SnoopyBanna

SnoopyBanna Master Helper

1.7.9 is upon us. 1.8 isn't far down the road!

16. LuckyLeo

LuckyLeo Artisan Helper VIP

Dun Dun Duuun! better change plans..
    PLAN B:
    Take off this skin,
    and take on 1.8,
    with my 1.8 Myles6!
    mwhahahaha!

17. cheracc

That's not really how versioning works: 1.7.10 is after 1.7.9. 1.8 is a major update - it could be just as close to 1.7.1 as it is it 1.7.15

That said, they have announced that 1.8 is likely to release in May.

18. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

And I will just reiterate that this does not mean Sandlot will be on 1.8 by then. Here's an interesting fact--Sandlot is still running on beta software! 1.7.2 was released almost 6 months ago and there's still not a "stable" version of 1.7.2 that the Sandlot can use. This isn't even taking plugins into account, which will also take time to be updated after 1.8 is released. Realistically, I don't see Sandlot moving to 1.8 for several months after it's officially released by Mojang.

19. SnoopyBanna

SnoopyBanna Master Helper

Ohh. I didn't see it that way. I thought the .9s marked the end and the next second digit was next. And I see your reasoning c0w. Thanks for clarification :)

20. Takssista

Takssista Master

And then there's the reset of the map outside of the live map's borders. I need to start thinking on relocation my villagers somewhere safe.