Crashing?

Discussion in 'Get Help!' started by luckydog2oo7, Jun 18, 2014.

1. luckydog2oo7

luckydog2oo7 Master

Hey guys. Ever since the DDoS attack, there have been a few instances where my frame rate will randomly plummet. Then the message found below will appear, and I'll have to totally restart my computer before I can even reconnect again. I've already allocated an extra GB of memory to MC, so I'm 90% sure that's not the case. Anyone else having this issue lately?

[​IMG]

2. camerongrace10

camerongrace10 Artisan Helper

I'm having that same problem.

3. cheracc

cheracc Master Founder VIP

I am completely at a loss to explain how anything the server is doing could affect the memory use of a client.

My best suggestion would be to update to Java 8 if you haven't done so. You can get it straight from Oracle here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Though I would also be interested to know if this is something that is happening to others. And if it is, is it just on one particular server?

4. camerongrace10

My computer is very laggy and when I enter the lobby the pet particles lag me out with that message because my PC can't handle lag very well.

5. cheracc

Well that is definitely not a problem with the server. Try installing OptiFine and turning all of the settings to "off" or "minimal"

6. camerongrace10

I'm getting a PC that can handle lag soon so this problem shouldn't happen very much anymore

7. LuckyLeo

LuckyLeo Artisan Helper VIP

I purely think Minecraft.net is Down. But not %100 sure about it. :|

8. cheracc

9. bighatscoutguy

bighatscoutguy Master VIP

To find out how much RAM your computer has

Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

In the System section, next to Installed memory (RAM), you can see the amount of RAM your computer has.
    THEN: http://www.wikihow.com/Allocate-More-RAM-to-Minecraft

10. edwardkgh

edwardkgh Sandlot's Owl Helper

This has been happening sometimes when i take a screenshot before the DDoS attack

11. luckydog2oo7

luckydog2oo7 Master

Well, before I posted this thread I actually did this very thing. I believe I have something around 2 GB allocated to MC. Not sure how much everyone else is doing. I WILL say, however, that all 3 times I've experienced a crash have been before, during, or immediately after leaving a HG match.

12. camerongrace10

Same with me Lurky.

13. luckydog2oo7

luckydog2oo7 Master

I [rarely] play on another family-friendly server from time to time. I will try connecting with them to see if this continues, or if it's exclusive to the Sandlot. I will post my results later this evening when I get home.

14. TheOneCrafter

TheOneCrafter PVP Master Helper VIP

This has happened to me too, but not with "Run out of Memory" it just crashing instantly and i never crash.

15. SantaFeRailroad

SantaFeRailroad Runaway Locomotive

On a mac, it;s Apple thingie in menu bar>About this Mac>More Info>Memory

16. SnoopyBanna

SnoopyBanna Master Helper

On the RAM subject, what's the diff between memory and storage?

17. cheracc

Think of memory as your school desk. It holds what you are currently working on, but you can't fit everything on it at once. In a computer memory is your RAM.

Think of storage as your backpack. It is where you keep everything you might need while at school. In a computer, storage is your HDD (or SDD)

If you need to work on something, you pull it out of your backpack and put it on your desk to work on. It takes time to move things from storage to memory. But once they are in memory (on your desk) you can use them quickly and easily.

But what if you had a bigger desk? You could fit more stuff on there. You could have all kinds of history information and a dictionary right at the ready. You could access both quickly and easily without having to put one away and get the other out. Adding more memory to your computer (or assigning more to Minecraft) is like making your school desk larger.

If you run out of space in your backpack, you just can't keep any more stuff, period. You have to carry another backpack (add another hard drive) or get a bigger one (replace your hard drive)

Hope that helps

18. SantaFeRailroad

So what would Cache be then? Your brain? Kinda embarrassing :D

19. cheracc

I like to think of the brain as the CPU, but maybe cache could be a piece of notepaper?

Think of a long division math problem. Your brain is capable of doing that in all of the small little steps (divide, multiply, subtract, bring down the next number, repeat...) but you use paper to help store the last few steps you did so you don't have to try to remember everything. Eventually your paper fills up and you have to throw it away or erase something to continue.

20. SantaFeRailroad

Hmm. I like that analogy!