Introducing... Factions! (Detailed Info)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by cheracc, Jul 9, 2014.

1. cheracc

cheracc Master Founder VIP

I have heard you out... We are introducing a Factions server! If you haven't seen it, make sure you watch the Intro Video: http://youtu.be/56HBxHLAj9M

What is Factions?

Factions is a popular Player-versus-Player Minecraft Survival game mode which allows players to team up into "Factions" and fight, kill, raid, and pillage opposing factions and their bases. While "raiding" (stealing) and griefing are part of the game on a Factions server, they are limited by who you choose to fight and war with - you have to actively be fighting with another faction in order for your faction's base to become open to raid and grief.

What is a Faction?

A Faction is a "team" of players. One player starts a faction and becomes its "leader". The Leader can assign officers, who also have some control over the faction. Factions also have two other ranks: Member and Recruit. The faction leader can determine what ranks are able to do certain things: for instance, can a recruit build in your faction's base? can an officer invite others into the faction? Can a Member withdraw from the Faction's bank account? There is a great amount of control over who can do what within a faction.

A Faction can also "claim" land. The amount of land a faction can claim is affected by the total "Power" of its players. Each player can have a maximum of 10 Power. Every time a player dies in PvP combat, they lose 2 power. Players gain 2 Power for every hour that they play. So if a Faction has 10 members, and they all have full Power, the faction will have 100 Power. Factions may claim "chunks" of land (a pre-defined 16x16 area) at a rate of one chunk per 1 Power. So a Faction with 100 Power can claim 100 chunks of land.

How is Griefing Limited?

Griefing and raiding can only be done if a faction is "weakened." As long as a faction maintains enough Power to keep control over it's claimed land, nobody can grief it or raid it. But if enough PvP combat takes place that reduces the overall Power of the faction to a level that is below the number of claimed chunks the faction has, an enemy faction can come in and "unclaim" some chunks, or even claim them as their own!

Chunks can only be unclaimed from the outside-in. This means that if your Faction has 16 power but you have 17 chunks claimed, an enemy cannot just come in and unclaim the center chunk of your base. They must first unclaim an "outer" chunk, only working into your base if your Power continues to drop.

Introductory Event: Haxians versus Groogs!

To introduce the Factions server, we are holding a special one-week event: Haxians versus Groogs! The Factions server is set up with both factions, and officers are being assigned based on group discussions that have taken place in the forums. For the duration of this one week event, players can join either the Haxians or the Groogs, but cannot make their own factions. Private faction creation will be opened at the conclusion of the Haxians versus Groogs event.

"Server Factions": The Groogs and the Haxians

These factions are already made. Anybody can join them by doing "/f join groogs" or "/f join haxians". You can also visit the Warlord Hall in Spawn and join them there. You will join as a "Recruit", which means you have limited access to the Faction base, but the officers can promote you as they see fit. These factions are "open" meaning anyone can join and you do not need to be invited. Be prepared to prove your worth to your chosen Faction!

At the conclusion of the event, the Groogs and Haxians factions will be reassigned to be "normal" factions. A leader will be assigned from the officers who wish to run it, though we expect that many of them will wish to go off and create or join other factions instead. If nobody is interested in running them, they will be disbanded.

What if I want to join "The c0ws" or some other group?

For the duration of the week of this event, the only Factions will be the Groogs and the Haxians. If you want to form your own "sub-faction" of one of them, and the officers of that faction agree, you can do so. They can assign you some chunks to use as "the c0w base" for instance, or you could just work with them and build one big super c0wGroog base or something. That's up to you and the officers of the faction.

Once the event is over, anyone will be able to create their own faction.

Sandlot-Specific Modifications

If you have played Factions servers in the past, you may be used to some things. Since we are a kid-friendly server, we had to make some modifications to how things work here to minimize drama as much as possible. The following information will prove useful so you can get an understanding of the "nitty-gritty" of how Factions works here.

Chat

By default, when you chat, your message will only be seen by those in your faction. If you are not in a faction, your message will go to the "Wilderness channel", which everybody can see. If you are in a faction, but wish to talk to everybody, you can use "/g" to speak globally.

Can I protect my stuff?

Yes! Well, sorta. When you place a chest, it will be automatically protected. Only you can open it. You can add people to it if you wish, or you can make it "public" if you wish. Public chests will be accessible only to members of your faction. See the Complete List of Commands for more information on using this feature.

However - if the chunk your chest is in becomes claimed by an enemy, your protection will be removed, and it will be accessible to be raided by the enemy. The main purpose of this protection is so that you don't have to completely trust everyone in your faction with your stuff, but to still allow a raiding faction to reap the rewards of conquering your base.

This same protection will apply to anything that can "store" items - furnaces, dispensers, etc. And don't forget that you can also securely protect a small number of items in an enderchest.

Can I make my own Faction?

Yes, after the introductory one-week event concludes. There will be a cost (in tokens) to do so, so start saving your tokens.

A Special Dimension: The Underground!

The Underground is a brand new dimension (like the nether and end) with lots and lots of loot chests. It is randomly generated, and has stronghold-like dungeons, mineshafts, caves, etc. Portals to the Underground can be built anywhere out of coal and stone brick stairs.

All portals to The Underground will connect to the same spawn location, so no matter where you enter from, you will arrive at the same place as everyone else. Thus, you will likely encounter PvP combat while down there - so be careful! To sweeten the incentives that are already there, The Underground will reset once per day.

Are there Kits?

Our version of factions is not going to have /kits. Instead, we will be using our custom token system combined with the villager shops at Spawn.

You can get tokens in a few ways:

• When you join the Factions server for the first time, you will be given 10 tokens.
    • When you die, you will respawn at the Spawn Graveyard and be given 10 tokens. You can only get these "death tokens" once per hour, however, so if you die again right away, you won't get any tokens. You will have to get equipment from your faction or your own stockpile instead.
    • When you kill a player in PvP combat, they have a chance of dropping a token. Players can only drop a token on death once every ten minutes.
    • If you kill another player in PvP combat who is carrying tokens, you can also take those.

We have designed the Spawn shops so that you can get a full set of armor and a sword (or a bow and 32 arrows) with your 10 tokens. Each piece of armor is 2 tokens (for a total of 8 for a full set). There are also three different swords available for 2 tokens each, or you can go for a bow (1 token) with 32 arrows (1 token).

There's lots of other shops around Spawn too!

Armor Modifications

In order to balance PvP and create an incentive to wear armors other than diamond, special effects are added to complete armor sets:

Diamond Armor: A complete set of Diamond Armor will cause you to walk slower and do slightly less melee (hand-to-hand) damage. Diamond armor is going to be most effective for those that want to attack at range with bows.

Iron Armor: A complete set of Iron Armor will give the wearer slightly increased melee damage.

Chain Armor: Because of its light weight, players wearing a complete set of chain armor will get a jump boost.

Gold Armor: The magical properties of Gold Armor will give the wearer increased dig speed (haste) and water breathing.

Leather Armor: Because of its flexibility, wearers of Leather Armor will gain a boost to their running speed.

Enchanting Limitations

To also help even the PvP playing field, enchantments done on an enchantment table will be limited to Level 5. You can, however, find books in chests or in The Underground that may allow you to put higher level enchants on your gear.

Health Bars

You will also see a health meter above every player's and monster's head once you get close enough to the player or hit the monster.

Do VIPs Get Anything?

We want to keep the Factions server as equal and balanced as possible for all players. To accomplish this, VIP players will not gain any form of "gameplay-modifying" perks or benefits. The /workbench command will not work. You also will be sent to the lobby if you AFK too long (since time played regenerates your power). You will have access to the following purely cosmetic VIP perks:
    • /hat
    • /me
    • The ability to join the Factions server if it is full.
    • Pets - yes there will be pets just like in the lobby. However, you will not be able to ride your pet.
    • Particle Trails - leave fire, smoke, flowers, or more behind you as you walk.

The following post will contain a list of important commands that are specific to the Factions server.

2. cheracc

Technical Stuff: Commands

Chest Locking Commands:

We're using the plugin called "LWC" for chests on the Factions server. Here's the basic commands:

Chests are protected only to you by default. Every chest/furnace/dispenser/etc. that you place is automatically protected and only you can access it.

To give someone access to a chest:
    Code:
    /cmodify <player> <player> ... <player>
    You can specify as many people as you want in one command. After you issue the command, it will tell you to punch the chest you want to modify. You can punch as many as you want after this and it will assign those players privileges to those chests/furnaces/etc.

To make a chest public:
    Code:
    /cpublic
    Then punch the chest(s) you want to make public. A public chest can be accessed by anyone in your faction, but it cannot be protected by anyone else but you. Good for "community" chests.

Factions Commands:

All Factions commands start with /f

I'm just going to link to the Factions documentation since it has everything I was going to type anyway: Factions Documentation

Technical Stuff: Links and Tutorials

Factions Documentation
    LWC Documentation

Initial Officers:

Initial Officers will be Helpers. They will be announced at 8:00 PM EDT on Thursday. They will be able to promote others to officers as they see fit after the server opens.

3. luckydog2oo7

luckydog2oo7 Master

4. LunaLovegood

LunaLovegood Magizoologist Elder Helper VIP

How much does it cost to make a faction because i would want to make the c0ws faction! Hear that c0ws!

5. Hoverflier

Hoverflier Master Helper VIP

Cheracc will the particals added back into lobby and creative?

6. SnoopyBanna

SnoopyBanna Master Helper

Very, very awesome! I won't be there for the opening event :( but I can't wait till afterwards.

1) who are the officers?
    2) will the Groogs and Haxians factions remain after the opening event?
    3) are there special areas for PVP or is it around the entire world?
    4) are tokens physical items that you carry around with you, or do you view it with a command such as /bal? E.i. Do you lose your tokens on death?

7. TheOneCrafter

TheOneCrafter PVP Master Helper VIP

How would we make a Portal to The Underground with coal and stone brick stairs?

8. cheracc

That has not yet been decided.

9. cheracc

If it works out well, yes.

10. cheracc

1) I am going by the Choose Your Side... Post
    2) Yes. This is mentioned in detail in the main post
    3) PvP is enabled everywhere outside of Spawn, including The Underground
    4) They are physical items. You can store them in chests to keep them (somewhat) safe. If you die, you will drop any that you had, along with everything else.

11. cheracc

3x4 Coal block flat on the ground (12 coal blocks) surrounded by stone brick stairs. Then light it like a nether portal.

12. nefarious_neo

nefarious_neo Tiny, but fierce!

Awesome!
    One question, is there a way to find out which dragons got submitted?

13. cheracc

I will announce this with the launch of the Factions server, so that the VIP starts at the same time.

14. nefarious_neo

nefarious_neo Tiny, but fierce!

Ok thanks! :)

15. SnoopyBanna

SnoopyBanna Master Helper

Awesome, thanks cheracc.

Although I don't remember any listings in the thread you mentioned; I though it was Abbz's "Get Ready..it's coming.." thread on page two of discussion where we posted our officer lists. If it's not, could the final lists of officers be posted here?

16. TheOneCrafter

TheOneCrafter PVP Master Helper VIP

Cool :)

I have another question, in your video you showed the mining machine, but what i want to know is there anyway to get the blocks to go into a chest? or do you have to stand there and pick up all the stone and ores?

17. LunaLovegood

LunaLovegood Magizoologist Elder Helper VIP

Cheracc what do officers get to do and who are they exactly and who are members?

18. cheracc

You could put down a hopper and connect it to a chest. The blocks all tend to pop out in one direction in a small area

19. cheracc

I will post officers and those technical details later.

20. Albinia

Albinia Time Lady Helper

thanks for the details - I've never actually played factions before, and this definitely has some twists to it. I want it to be Fridayyy...