Introducing... Factions! (Detailed Info)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by cheracc, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Comatose

Comatose Artisan Elder VIP

Pluses include:

+ Being difficult to find.
    + Easier to hide your stash.
    + You are perceived as less of a threat than the factions.
    + You can relocate your area of operations a lot easier on your own.
    + All the good stuff you earn is yours and yours alone.

Negatives are:

- You most likely outnumbered in any major fight.
    - You have to rely on your own skill and cunning instead of sheer numbers.
    - Accruing tokens is going to be slower since only one person is doing it.

2. sdmelder

sdmelder Master Elder

Good answer.

But ultimately you can't know that your stuff will be safe while you're offline. If a faction finds your base they will likely come and take everything.

What about the alternative of starting your own one-player faction? Let's say you can keep your power above 4 - shouldn't be a problem. That guarantees you 4 protected chunks. Is that a good solution or am I missing something?

3. Comatose

Comatose Artisan Elder VIP

That is equally a good strategy, though with its own set of drawbacks. Anyone can roam the map spamming /f map which will show a map in chat, showing chunks that are claimed by certain factions. If someone were to use this knowledge and camp you for kills, they now have a good idea of where all your stuff is, and will claim your land to take away everything.

Still, starting your own faction is a wise idea in my opinion, you then have the opportunity to attack people even in their own territory, or claim land on chests the people have left in the wilderness and gain their loot. I've picked up a healthy amount of diamonds and tokens just by pillaging factionless player's chests.

4. sdmelder

sdmelder Master Elder

Really interesting. I was going to start a faction and claim my base today, but I'm now reconsidering.

Maybe the solution is to start a faction, claim land to protect some stuff that you don't want to lose at any cost, and then build your main (hidden) base a reasonable distance away, thus relying on a combination of a claim for some stuff, and secrecy for other stuff. Is claimed land explosion-protected?

Another alternative would be to join forces with a few like-minded players who mainly want to get on with their solo stuff, but come together for a protected base, and spend a small proportion of their effort on some sort of joint self-defence scheme.

Maybe there is a strategy that a single player, or small group of players could devise which would shift the odds in their favour around their own base. I have some half-formed ideas...

5. HotNate

HotNate Master

How do you make a mining machine?

6. bobandbunny

bobandbunny Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo! Moderator Elder Helper VIP

Please do not post to topics this old.

You can't make mining machines either.

7. TheOneCrafter

TheOneCrafter PVP Master Helper VIP

You find mining machines in chests in the Underground.