Net Neutrality - A battle for the future of the internet

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by c0wg0d, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Zapgig

Zapgig Animator

Yikes! more taxes just what the world needs... Does this apply to Canada and the other countrys as well?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Darth_Pink

Darth_Pink Master

I already put in a complaint before I saw this, but it is nice that the Sandlot cares.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Not directly, but it will have worldwide implications if Net Neutrality goes away. Other countries will try to do the same thing. Also many online services are based in the US, which will affect you if you use those services in other countries. For example, if you pay for Netflix, and then ISPs start charging Netflix extra for a "fast lane" on their service, then the cost of Netflix would go up for everyone.

It could look something like this:

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Mickeyheart

Mickeyheart Grandificent Grandmama Mickeyosity Moderator Helper VIP

Yikes! I'll have to see what I can do with my parents about this one. Thank you for letting me know!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. ishx_

ishx_ Inscrutible VIP

Thanks c0w. I just (like literally just) put in a complaint

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. c0w i have a question about this couldn't someone make a company with no extra fines to use certain websites or to make them and then get most the customers from the big companies to join their company for cheaper service?

7. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Yes, ideally that is what should happen in a free market. The problem in the United States is that these very large Internet Service Providers (Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, etc.) have a duopoly in most markets, meaning most homes in America only have a choice between 1 or 2 providers. This means you either have to pay what the company says or you don't have internet.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Indrichi

Indrichi Withering Away Elder VIP

This battle has been re-occurring every couple of years for almost as long as there has been a world-wide-web. It's very irritating that they are allowed to keep trying to slip this in with different names under different distractions.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Monkey_Chicka

Monkey_Chicka Insert coffee to start Moderator Helper VIP

Thank you so much for speaking out about this, @c0wg0d . This issue has been near and dear to my heart for a few years now. Net neutrality is so important for so many reasons. And everyone, it's never too late to contact your representatives about this! (I'm not sure if the FCC is still taking comments or not. I commented.)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Emilo_Elmo

Emilo_Elmo Meow? Meow?

Will do, lucky my relatives are over at my house!
    Me: Hey guys read this
    Them: I can't read it, it is too small
    Me: Look i'll make it bigger
    Them: still can't see....
    Me: This is a big as it goes!
    Them: Oh, we have to look at the screen?!
    Me: Yes! :eek:

Thank c0w anyways! I will spread the word! :D you can count on Cat!

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. Mariokart617

Mariokart617 Master

thanks for sharing this

12. cicikitty

cicikitty Animal Guardian Helper

Thanks c0w, I just send the link to my mom and I had her read your post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Taylor___Swift13

Taylor___Swift13 Pop Culture Enthusiast Elder Helper

This does not look good I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ye1o

ye1o Super! Helper

We need to stand up for Internet Freedom! I mean- paying a monthly fee to play online? I know many people will not be able to afford it. Honestly, The Sandlot doesn't have many players compared to other servers. What will happen when there are too few players because too many people can't/don't want to pay? Well, here is one thing- many of your friends that you have made on The Sandlot will pretty much never be seen again online. This may make even more people stop playing on The Sandlot. Then, with just a handful of players left, what is there to do? There wont be many players in Creative to have a fun Role-Play with, there wont be many people to battle in Arenas and Skywars. What will happen to Hunger Games? There will be few players, making it much less fun. SVS, Easy, SB, and DB will still be functioning, but again, what about your friends? There will hardly be anyone to chat with, build with, play with. Wasn't that what this server was meant to be for? To create a fun, safe place for everyone to play online together. Unfortunately, there are no other servers like The Sandlot. Sure, there are a few other Family-friendly servers, but none are even close to how amazing The Sandlot is. Lets all work together and save Internet Freedom, or else there may be seriously dire consequences.

Who's with me? Lets go save the internet!

• Like Like x 2
  15. CaptainFinner

CaptainFinner The Funny One Helper VIP

Just want to bring this back to life. Net neutrality rules are in danger of being removed....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RaspberryRose_

RaspberryRose_ is a wiffle Helper

;-;
    6 days..

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SomethingGreen

SomethingGreen Expert VIP

On December 12th, an online protest will be held, where we break the Internet.
    We won't literally break it. Instead, website owners can display alerts on their sites, showing what it would be if we didn't have net neutrality, and encouraging viewers to take action. We can still keep calling, but this is going to be big, especially because it's just 48 hours before the vote occurs.

The official site says, "None of these will actually block, slow, or paywall your site. But, they will let your users contact their representatives in Congress without having to leave your page. They appear once per user per day and users can easily click away."

Maybe we could use it? :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. SupersonicE9

SupersonicE9 Retro Gamer Moderator Elder Helper VIP

I hate the way cable is set up already, and if the internet was the same way, it would be terrible. I hope that net neutrality continues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. RaspberryRose_

RaspberryRose_ is a wiffle Helper

*When you almost rate it funny because of your tablet*

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. LunaLovegood

LunaLovegood Magizoologist Elder Helper VIP

YES I looked this up. This would be cool!
    I am very concerned about the state of our country right now :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1