Notice: Factions Updates

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by cheracc, Jul 28, 2014.

1. cheracc

cheracc Master Founder VIP

An Anti-PvP-Log plugin has been installed

This plugin will "tag" any player entering into PvP combat, whether they are the attacker or the attacked. If you log out while "tagged", you will be killed and all of your items will be dropped on the ground for anybody to pick up. This tag will last for 10 seconds. You will be notified when you enter combat, as well as when you leave combat, so you will know when it is safe to log out.

To answer the typical "excuses/questions":

"What happens if I absolutely need to leave at the exact time that someone hits me?" - It's 10 seconds. What is 10 seconds, really? You either fight that fight and leave when it is over, or you just log out and give that person your stuff. There isn't really an excuse for not having at least 10 seconds to finish a fight. It's 10 seconds. Really. This is just an excuse for not wanting to die.

"What if I "lag out" when someone attacks me?" - The process of "lagging out" takes way more than 10 seconds. The server continues to try to send you packets. If you lag out, your game client never tells the server that you left - it just stops answering the server's packets. You will not actually time out for usually 15+ seconds after you actually lose your connection. If this happens to you, you would have died in that fight anyway because you would have appeared to be logged in until you actually timed out. "Lagging out" is just another excuse for leaving the game when you don't want to die in PvP combat. If you really lagged out, you would have appeared to just stand there and you would have died anyway.

Culling of the Haxians and the Groogs

On Wednesday evening (7/30/2014) at approximately 9:30 pm EDT, I will be culling the Haxians and Groogs factions of any players that have not logged into the Factions server within the past week (since before 7/24/2014). Whoever this affects is free to re-join if they ever choose to return to the Factions server.

Pets in Factions

Due to unforeseen use of pets as a PvP advantage on the Factions server, all pets that are more than one block tall have been removed. The following pets are still available:

• bat
    • ocelot
    • chicken
    • pig
    • silverfish
    • spider
    • cavespider
    • sheep
    • squid
    • wolf

Similarly, the ability to wear pets as hats has been removed because people were using it to "disguise" themselves as other players. If i continue to receive complaints that players are using pets in any way that gives them an advantage in PvP combat, they will be removed entirely from the Factions server.

Also, the pet bone will no longer be given upon joining. You can open the pet menu by typing /pet menu

This change ONLY affects the Factions server. Nothing has changed in the other servers which have pets enabled.

2. Abbz05_

Abbz05_ Abbzolutely Amazing Joke Teller Moderator Helper VIP

Re: Notice: VIP pets in Factions

Thanks cheracc. Hope that helps.

I, personally, am still in favor of removing them completely due to following reasons:

1. They get in the way. Try to break a block, place a block, or simply anything, they get in the way.
    2. AFK pets. Basically the same as number 1. When a person with VIP and pets are standing (let's say in front of an entrance or where you're working) it blocks for the other person to do whatever they wished to do.
    3. Sounds. The sounds of a spider could cause a heart attack for someone. (Not *that* serious, lol, just stating a point)

3. cheracc

edited main post with overall updates to Factions

4. cheracc

We will see how this goes. I'm thinking it will probably end up being removed, but I wanted to give it one last chance.

5. anolan05

anolan05 Apprentice

Hope Me and my freind can get soem monny to make our faction quike before you pick our faction!

6. _Razz

_Razz Redstone Warrior Moderator Elder VIP

Thanks Cheracc for these additional changes. The Factions server has been fun so far and I only hope the action continues for some time to come.

7. Rhison

Rhison Master Helper

Oh yay! This will be so helpful, i really hate it when people log out because they are about to lose their items, but can we use /ct to check our time that we have left in pvp?

8. Rhison

Rhison Master Helper

I agree with abbz, we dont have pets in any other world than lobby, why do we have them in factions? They are useless anyways.

9. cheracc

Since Mojang's servers are down and nobody can get online, I went ahead and restarted Factions to install the combatlog plugin now instead of tonight - updated main post accordingly.

10. SnoopyBanna

SnoopyBanna Master Helper

Nice. I hope this helps a lot!

Forgive me, but I noticed an error on the Haxians vs Groogs post: Wednesday is the 30th, not 31st. ^^ Stinks servers are down though; forum browsing time ;)

Edit: for the PVP logging, does this count with mobs?

11. Nalst

Nalst Villager Expert/Zombie Doctor

speaking of that well i didnt know we wernet supposed to log out when in a fight i didnt even know what pvp logging is but when i did know once i did it came back and let them kill me.

12. Comatose

Comatose Artisan Elder VIP

Great set of changes, thanks Cheracc.

13. Herobrine5

Herobrine5 Novice

What if someone doesn't see the forums?

14. cheracc

They still get the notice when they log in

15. cheracc

The culling of the Haxians and Groogs is complete. There was lots of grumbling from both factions while I was doing this, but just to clarify:

If a player was not seen on the factions server in the past 7 days, they were removed from the Groogs/Haxians. It did not matter to me if they were online right now in creative or whatever, if they have not played Factions they were on the chopping block.

This was a one-time event and was done to somewhat even the playing field with other factions. Both of the initial factions had tons of players that were contributing points but who were no longer playing. This created an unfair advantage, and this one-time culling fixed it.

Both factions are still huge, and neither of them were in jeopardy of having their power drop below chunks claimed.

Anybody that was kicked from either faction is now free to return without fear of being removed again in the future.

16. edwardkgh

edwardkgh Sandlot's Owl Helper

Is it only culling of the Haxians and Groogs?

17. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Yes, just those two because they were the two original factions.