Optifine for Windows 10

Discussion in 'Get Help!' started by Abbz05, Nov 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abbz05_

Abbz05_ Abbzolutely Amazing Joke Teller Moderator Helper VIP

Hiya,

We recently bought a new computer with Windows 10, and re-downloaded Minecraft (I did not download the Windows 10 Minecraft, just normal Minecraft for a Windows PC pretty sure). When I open Minecraft (on the screen that allows me to click on Singleplayer, Multiplayer, etc), under the Minecraft title, it says Java Edition - is that normal? I mention this in case this is the reason that Optifine is not working.

I’ve tried multiple times to install Optifine 1.12, but it will not work. On the old computer, I could download Optifine and click install, but now my only options are Open or Save/Save as. I've tried a variety of things, none have worked:
    1. If I save Optifine to the desktop, it appears as an Internet Explore icon. Opening that does nothing.
    2. (The above does not happen now that Java is installed on the PC) I can now save Optifine to desktop, but it automatically looks like the Java icon. Double-clicking that or opening it with Java (TM) Platform SE Binary brings up a command-like prompt for a second, then disappears. (We installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled Java.)
    3. Now saving Optifine automatically makes it a JAR file, and sometimes gives me the option of opening it with Java.
    There have been a variety of factors making this very frustrating to figure out/explain (downloading on Chrome brings it up like so and so, but it's different on Edge; sometimes Internet Explore pops up, sometimes not; I have the options of opening or saving or viewing it in a file, but sometimes I don’t have all those options; when I click the download link it appears in the bottom left corner, or sometimes in the middle; saving it to desktop becomes a JAR file, sometimes not; opening it with Java brings up a screen that vanishes, sometimes I get an error, etc).

I apologize this is not clearer - we've gone down various paths that lead to this or that, etc.

Any feedback/suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Abbz

Random note: I’ve noticed the screen brightness on dim is still very bright to my eyes/makes me somewhat nauseous - any ideas that may help? I’ve thought about wearing sunglasses/shades while playing.

2. RatMazeMind

RatMazeMind Fully vaccinated rodent Moderator Elder VIP

I have never installed Optifine so I don't have all the answers, but here is what I can confirm off the top of my head:
    MineCraft Java Edition is the correct one you want. The "Java Edition" subtitle was added fairly recently.

Now the MineCraft comes bundled with its own Java package, it is correct that you need to install Java separately to install Optifine. From what I saw, if you right click and select Open with... -> Java Platform SE Binary, it should give a popup with an install button. It is supposed to create a different profile in the MineCraft launcher. Have you checked to see if the new profile (named Optifine something) is available in the MineCraft launcher? Other than that, I would have to experiment to know more. The other questions are: are you sure you downloaded the official Optifine and not some malware imitation; and, do you have virus detection software that could be interfering with it?

You could always adjust the brightness with the buttons on your monitor as well.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. You must run the version of Minecraft involved at least once to install Optifine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Abbz05_

Yeah, that’s the problem - that pop-up has never appeared. Instead, (after clicking Open with... -> Java Platform SE Binary) a command-like pop-up appears for a second, then disappears - nothing else happens.

I’ve checked, it doesn’t. The Optifine install pop-up has never appeared, so I haven’t been able to click install.

I’m positive it is the official Optifine; we have virus detection software, but it says it’s safe/doesn’t interfere.

I’ll try that!

I’ve logged onto Sandlot (on this new PC) once - would that be using 1.12.2? I’m trying to download the latest Optifine version, which I believe is 1.12.2. Should I try a different version?

I’ll try downloading a different version & run Minecraft using a different version, then report back.

Thank you both for the replies!

5. Abbz05_

I ran the latested version when I joined Sandlot, today I ran 1.12.2 in a singleplayer world, and I downloaded the two versions of Optifine 1.12.2, but still have the same issue.

6. Should work, worked for me...I'm stumped.

7. RatMazeMind

RatMazeMind Fully vaccinated rodent Moderator Elder VIP

@Abbz05 So from what I can gather, what has probably happened is that another program (likely a zip/unzip program) has "hijacked" the file association to .jar files so the system is trying to handle the file in the wrong way. The easiest solution seems to be to download a "jarfix" program that will correct the association for you automatically. I personally try to avoid or be cautious of downloading third party "fix" programs like this, but I have found many instances where people said it worked for them in this case. If everything else has been tried, you may choose to go this route. Any other solution may involve manually changing the file associations or even the Windows registry which would get complicated. Possibly, if you know of a zip/unzip program on your system (such as WinRAR), you could try uninstalling it and then uninstalling/reinstalling Java to see if that fixes the association (but I don't know if that would work or not.)

I qualify my statements by saying that I am comfortable troubleshooting on my own computer, but I am by no means a professional so make sure that whatever you try, you feel somewhat confident you can undo if necessary. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Try this.

First, delete any Optifine jars you have downloaded. Then go to http://optifine.net/downloads and download OptiFine 1.12.2 HD U C6 from the (mirror) location. If you do this in Chrome, it will warn you that this file could be dangerous and ask if you want to keep the file. Click Keep. Once the file is downloaded, click the arrow next to it and then click Show in Folder. Note where this file is on your system. It will most likely be C:\Users\Abbz05\Downloads. The Abbz05 part will be whatever your Windows username is.

Right click your Start menu icon in the taskbar, click Windows PowerShell (Admin). Click Yes when it asks if you want to allow the program to make changes. In the blue window that pops up, type "java -version" without the quotes. If that works, it should say something like "java version 1.8.0_151" and a few other lines of text. Type "cd C:\Users\Abbz05\Downloads" or wherever the Optifine jar was downloaded in step 1. Once you are there, type "java -jar .\OptiFine_1.12.2_HD_U_C6.jar". (You can just type java -jar opti and then press tab to have it filled out automatically.) Hopefully this will pop up the dialog asking you to install Optifine. If that doesn't work, we'll have to dig deeper!

• Like Like x 1
  9. GrassPelt

GrassPelt Architect Elder Helper

I don't ever remember having to install Optifine like that. All I ever did was put it in the mods folder in the .minecraft folder and played the game. seemed to work like it should. Maybe I just don't remember or missed something?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Abbz05_

@c0wg0d Thanks for the reply! Everything worked until I typed “cd C:\Users\Abbz05\Downloads”.

The PC name (“Abbz05” part) has a space in it (example: 123 XYZ), so the command gives an error like “XYZ/Downloads is not a valid address”. I’m not sure if the space is the issue, or that the exact word after the space (XYZ) cannot be with “/Downloads”.

We’ve moved Optifine to the Desktop, same error. We’ve renamed the PC (then restarted the PC), same error. Copying the address (where Optifine is located) still reads as “123 XYZ” not the renamed version of “123”.

When we download Optifine, what type of file should it be? JAR? And what java application should I try and open it with?

Also, how does the “mirror” version of Optifine differ from the regular “download”?

11. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

If it has a space in the name, you need quotes around it. For example: cd "C:\Users\Abbz Dabbz\Downloads"

Also that's not the PC name, it's the name of the user account currently logged in. Also make sure you are using backslashes \ not forward slashes /.

Yes, the download should be a .jar file. Try my steps again using quotes around the file location and let us know how it goes. I only suggested using the (mirror) download because it avoids the adfly stuff, which complicates the download instructions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Abbz05_

It worked! Thank you so much c0wbell! :D

Thanks everyone for the replies! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Beautiful Beautiful x 1
  13. Abbz05_

Out of curiosity, why do you think the normal way of installing didn’t work? Why did I have to do it a different?

14. Giraffon

Giraffon Legendary Helper

I'm jumping in late on this, but that part where:

"Right click your Start menu icon in the taskbar, click Windows PowerShell (Admin). Click Yes when it asks if you want to allow the program to make changes."

I suspect that's what ultimately solved your problem. It was probably more a Windows 10 file rights issue. You may have "Standard" user access. Sometimes programs don't install correctly under standard accounts without giving them extra permissions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Abbz05_

Thanks @Giraffon! Do you know how to fix that (if needed on other programs)?

16. Giraffon

Giraffon Legendary Helper

The easy way is to change your account to an Administrator account on the computer. Then it won't try to protect you from yourself. Of course...that may or may not be a good idea depending on your "computer awareness".

Always be sure to create a second account on the computer with administrator rights in case malware or something gets in there and makes a mess. Sometimes it will lock a user out of their account. If you have another one you should still be able to get in there and fix...or give that account information to a computer person and let them clean it up. I can tell you it will be very helpful though either way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Captain_Popsicle

Captain_Popsicle RUSH EM LADS! VIP

I could tell you if it was a Mac lol I have no experience with non-Apple computers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.