The /suicide command

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by c0wg0d, Jun 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Hi everyone!

While the /suicide command does succinctly tell you what is happening when you use it, I don't like the command. I don't like having to tell players in HG to /suicide and I don't like seeing "player took their own life." in the chat.

There is a need for this command in certain situations, so I am not getting rid of it. However, I have changed it.

In HG, Skywars, and Arenas, the command is now /quit
    In all other servers, the command is now /respawn

I know this does complicate things a little bit, but I think it's worth doing.

Please note: The /suicide command will actually still work the same as before, but the verbiage is different now when using it, and most importantly, I would like to encourage everyone to tell players to use the new /quit and /respawn commands now when it is warranted, and not mention the /suicide command even exists.

Thank you.

• Winner x 18
    • Like x 12
    • Agree x 9
    • Friendly x 2
    • Beautiful x 1
  2. tmuo

tmuo :D VIP

thanks c0w! i like the new commands. thanks for all you do!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  3. _Onion

_Onion Farm Fresh Onions! Helper VIP

Thanks c0w! I completely support this decision. I think it was a bit mean for players to have to type that word, as it can have a bad meaning for some people. I am glad that these new commands are now in place!

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
  4. StoneCommander

StoneCommander Somebody Let Me Out!

Thanks c0w! I agree it was a little weird seeing “blank took their own life”

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LegoBoyo

LegoBoyo Pop Culture Enthusiast Elder Helper

Thank you so much c0wg0d! This was a great idea and I am glad you made it a reality!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. LunaLovegood

LunaLovegood Magizoologist Elder Helper VIP

Thank you so much c0w! The command has made me a bit uncomfortable in the past, and I'm glad it was changed!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TigiUwU

TigiUwU Expert

agreed iv only done /suicide once & i was stuck in the lobby i like /respawn better & /quit better :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. TigiUwU

TigiUwU Expert

Agreed StoneCommander its very creepy :p

• Like Like x 2
  9. lvvrboy

lvvrboy :P VIP

Thank you, c0w! This can be very off-putting for some players. I really appreciate it. :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. TheAfkOne

TheAfkOne something amusing VIP

Thanks c0w! Does it change the message when you die, or is it the same?

• Like Like x 1
  11. tmuo

tmuo :D VIP

I saw him test it last night on his alt. the message is “(player) respawned.” i think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. TigiUwU

TigiUwU Expert

i will go to easy (or what ever is most popular & i will /me please dont do the /suicide command if your stuck do /respawn or if your in skywars or HG do /quit

13. NotInReality

NotInReality is glitching

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. WanderingLlama

WanderingLlama Wayfaring Drama Moderator Elder Helper VIP

Thanks c0w! I also disliked that command and it's death message. It has always made me uneasy, especially when it is in a family friendly server.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  15. WanderingLlama

WanderingLlama Wayfaring Drama Moderator Elder Helper VIP

Is this also for the kill arrow in parkour? It says to shift and click to commit suicide. Can it say shift and click to quit the course, or something like that instead?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  16. LilAdamBrooks

LilAdamBrooks Super Adam

That is a good idea. It'll make people telling others to use a "reset your character" command WAY easier and better, as the original meaning of the command is pretty much less than kid-friendly.

Edit: Quotations.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SupersonicE9

SupersonicE9 Retro Gamer Moderator Elder Helper VIP

I was just thinking the other day that having that command with that name was strange, especially for the Sandlot... I think it's a good alteration.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  18. ItalianRepublic

ItalianRepublic Garden of Eden

Thanks c0w! I do agree, the message in chat did bother me and has for a while, I did just think that it was a really strange name for a command, especially in this server.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. GemOLantern

GemOLantern Codin' Gopher Helper VIP

Thank you so much c0w... it’s a very sensitive subject and I totally agree on removing it from the server.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. briberry

briberry Master

Thank you so much for this! I am very thankful you added these new commands.

The message, “Soinso has taken their own life” would be surprising when I saw it in chat, since it’s a family friendly server, and some people used this several times a day. So I’m glad that it is being replaced. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.