Optifine Installation

Discussion in 'Get Help!' started by witchcrqft, Mar 19, 2020.

1. CraftyGirl05

CraftyGirl05 Baking Geeks

I'm having issues downloading optifine. I read this thread: https://www.sandlotminecraft.com/threads/optifine-for-windows-10.32348/#post-310700
    and it helped me with the first half of steps. c0w then said to "Right click your Start menu icon in the taskbar, click Windows PowerShell (Admin). Click Yes when it asks if you want to allow the program to make changes." I've gotten to this step and when I look for Windows Powershell I see a couple options but not one with (Admin). Is there a new alternative to that option, or can I use any Windows PowerShell?

2. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

That step isn't necessary by itself, it's just a step you can do to make sure you have Java installed. If you right click your Optifine jar you downloaded and select Open With... does it give you an option to open with Java(TM) Platform SE binary? If so, that's the one you want. If not, it means you need to tell it where Java is. I can help you out with that if you don't have the option but report back on what you get with the Open With... thing first.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CraftyGirl05

It doesn't say open with Java(TM) Platform SE binary. What are the steps to see that? Sorry, this stuff isn't my specialty

4. c0wg0d

You have 2 options.

1. Download Java and install it. After installing it, it should show up as an option in the "Open with" menu.

2. Minecraft automatically comes with Java, so you can use that instead of installing it separately. When you look at the Open with menu, select "Choose another app". A window will pop up with some applications. If you still don't see Java listed in there, select "More apps", look again for Java, and if it's still not there, scroll to the bottom and click "Look for another app on this PC". In the dialog that pops up, paste the following into the "File name" field at the bottom and select "Open": %APPDATA%\.minecraft\runtime\jre-x64\bin\javaw.exe

Whether you choose option 1 or 2 above, once you actually open the Optifine jar file, it should prompt you to install it into your .minecraft folder.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CraftyGirl05

Thank you! I’ll try this when I can :)

6. CraftyGirl05

I tried both options. for the first option, I installed it but it still didn't show in open with... Then after that didn't work, I tried the second option multiple times, and '%APPDATA%\.minecraft\runtime\jre-x64\bin\javaw.exe' isn't on my pc I guess? I put it into the file name bar and it says it doesn't exist and to check it then try again. I've looked up other tutorials and other ways of installing it, nothing's working. I'll try again soon, I'm probably just accidentally skipping a step or making little mistakes in the process. But I won't give up! I'll try again tomorrow.

7. c0wg0d

If you installed Java, then you need to point to the platform binary where you installed it. If you're on 64 bit windows, it should be C:\Program Files\Java\jre*version-number-here*\bin\javaw.exe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. c0wg0d

Try just putting %APPDATA% and looking for your .minecraft folder, then if that's there look for the runtime folder, then if that's there look for the jre-x64 folder, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CraftyGirl05

ok thanks! let me try that

10. CraftyGirl05

For your second suggestion I found the minecraft\runtime\jre-x64\bin part but did not find javaw.exe. and for the first, where it says jre*version-number-here* the version number should just be 64 right? I know I am on a 64-bit windows..

11. how_its_neko

how_its_neko floofer: part 2

No, it's x86. x86=64 bit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheAfkOne

TheAfkOne something amusing VIP

i have been having the same problem. i am trying to run 1.14 version for creative world. which version of java do i install? this is what happens when i try to open it:
    91D55BE6-4AA7-48C9-A9BF-9EAF853549B6.jpeg
    (Sorry about bad image)

13. how_its_neko

how_its_neko floofer: part 2

Could you supply a better photo of the error? You can use this key combo to take a "snip", basically a screenshot.
    Untitled.png

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheAfkOne

15. TheAfkOne

nevermind, i just figured it out

thanks!

• Like Like x 1