Minecraft: Bedrock Edition is now officially supported on The Sandlot!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by c0wg0d, Jun 11, 2023.

1. c0wg0d

c0wg0d Master Owner Moderator Helper VIP

Exciting news! After a very long period of testing, configuring, more testing, some head scratching, and some computer magic from @waseric, I am pleased to announce that The Sandlot now supports Minecraft: Bedrock Edition! This means you can now play on The Sandlot from the following devices:
    • Microsoft Windows 10/11 PC (Minecraft for Windows Edition)
    • Nintendo Switch
    • Xbox One S
    • Xbox One X
    • Xbox Series S
    • Xbox Series X
    • PlayStation 4
    • PlayStation 5
    • Android phones and tablets
    • Apple iPhone and iPad
    • Amazon Fire tablets
    Please bear with us as we start this new adventure together. There are likely going to be bugs, quirks, and oddities that we didn't discover during our testing (and some that we did, but don't have solutions for). There is a lot to cover, so let's get started! I will go over all the Sandlot specific details first, and then device/platform details further down in this post.

What is Minecraft: Bedrock Edition?

Minecraft: Bedrock Edition, also known simply as Minecraft, is the version of Minecraft made for game consoles, phones, and tablets. It also includes Minecraft for Windows, which is the version of Minecraft you purchase directly from the Microsoft Store app on Windows 10 and 11.

Do I have to request whitelist access again for my Minecraft: Bedrock Edition account?

Yes. We are treating all Minecraft: Bedrock Edition accounts as separate accounts. This means you will have to sign up with a separate email address and go through our whitelist request process. Since it is a separate account, if you want to share things like Creative plots, Skyblock islands, land claims in Easy, Normal, and Hard, etc., you will need to add your Bedrock account to your list of trusted people the same way you would add any other person. We have no plans to "link" your two accounts together to make them a single account with shared inventories or bases. They will always be separate.

How do I connect with Minecraft: Bedrock Edition once I am whitelisted?

Follow the link below for instructions on how to connect to The Sandlot for your device:

Can I play on every Sandlot server?

Unfortunately, no. Due to the way Minecraft: Bedrock Edition works, players on that platform would have an unfair advantage over Minecraft: Java Edition players in competitive games. The two biggest advantages include extended reach (they can hit you from further away than you can hit them) and being able to place blocks directly below themselves without needing to have another block in the crosshairs to place them against. There are likely other minor differences between the two versions as well. As such, Minecraft: Bedrock Edition players will not be allowed to join Arenas, Parkour, Hunger Games, or Skywars/Bedwars. That being said, there's still tons of fun to have on all the other servers where everyone can play together!

Why is there a dot in front of my name?

To avoid potential name conflicts with Minecraft: Java Edition accounts, all Bedrock accounts have a dot prepended to their Minecraft name on The Sandlot. This cannot be removed or changed.

Why doesn't the tab list show everyone on The Sandlot in Minecraft: Bedrock Edition?

Unfortunately, the plugin we use to display the global tab list does not work on Minecraft: Bedrock Edition. The tab list will only show people in the current server you are on (Easy, Creative, Adventure, etc.). If you want to see who is online across all our servers, use the /glist command.

Why doesn't my avatar show my skin on my forums account?

Unfortunately, the plugin we use to display your Minecraft skin as your forums avatar does not support Minecraft: Bedrock Edition. We are working on a solution for this issue but have nothing further to add at this time.

Do I have to buy Minecraft: Bedrock Edition if I already own Minecraft: Java Edition?

In most cases, yes. Minecraft is sold separately on each platform. So, for example, if you own a Nintendo Switch, an iPhone, and an Amazon Fire Tablet, you will have to buy 3 separate copies of Minecraft from each store on each platform. However, if you own an Apple iPhone and an Apple iPad, you would only need to buy one copy, since both devices use the Apple App Store. In addition to this, if you own Minecraft: Java Edition, once you migrate your account to a Microsoft account (instructions on doing that are here: https://www.sandlotminecraft.com/threads/how-to-migrate-your-account-from-mojang-to-microsoft.36706/), you will automatically get Minecraft for Windows Edition for free, which will allow you to play both versions of Minecraft on a Windows 10 or 11 laptop or PC.

Do I have to buy Minecraft: Bedrock Edition if I subscribe to Xbox Game Pass?

No, Minecraft is included with the Xbox Game Pass subscription! However, if you ever cancel your subscription, you will lose access to Minecraft unless you resubscribe or purchase Minecraft separately.

Do I have to buy Minecraft: Bedrock Edition if I subscribe to PlayStation Plus?

Yes, Minecraft is not included with any Playstation Plus subscription at this time.

Do I have to buy Minecraft: Bedrock Edition if I subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online?

Yes, Minecraft is not included with the Nintendo Switch Online subscription at this time.

Do I need to pay for anything besides Minecraft itself to play on The Sandlot?

Yes, depending on the device where you are playing, you may need to purchase a subscription for online multiplayer. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all require a subscription to play multiplayer games on their platforms.

For all Xbox consoles, Microsoft requires Xbox Game Pass Console, PC, or Ultimate, which can be purchased here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass?xr=shellnav#join or Xbox Live Gold, which can be purchased here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/gold

For all Playstation consoles, Sony requires Playstation Plus Essential, Extra, or Premium, which can be purchased here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-plus/#subscriptions

For the Nintendo Switch, Nintendo requires Nintendo Switch Online, which can be purchased here: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online/

Android devices, Apple iOS devices, Windows PCs, and Amazon Fire tablets do not require any paid subscription to play on The Sandlot.

Do I need to configure any settings in my Microsoft account to play Minecraft: Bedrock Edition on The Sandlot?

Yes, Microsoft restricts multiplayer unless you explicitly allow it in your Online Safety settings. You can change these settings here: https://account.xbox.com/en-us/Settings?activetab=main:privilegetab

Click the link labeled Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows 10 devices Online Safety, and set You can join multiplayer games to Allow.

Is it safe to enable multiplayer for my child?

There are always risks when interacting with others online, but The Sandlot's mission is, and has always been, to provide a safe place for people to play multiplayer Minecraft together. As a parent, you have robust parental controls over your child's online activity when it comes to Minecraft. There are some important Privacy and Online Safety settings that you should consider before allowing your child to play Minecraft multiplayer. Additionally, there are two methods you can use to connect to and play on The Sandlot in Minecraft: Bedrock Edition. One method is much more "locked down" and will not allow your child to join any multiplayer servers but ours. The other method is simpler, but would allow your child to join any of the official third party Minecraft servers that have partnered with Microsoft. At The Sandlot, we do not feel those servers are monitored as well as ours, and would advise you to investigate them and decide for yourself how you want to setup your connection to The Sandlot.

Look over all the Privacy and Online Safety options carefully here: https://account.xbox.com/en-us/Settings

The only setting that must be set to allow you to connect to The Sandlot is You can join multiplayer games which must be set to Allow.

If I enable multiplayer for my child, can people contact my child outside of The Sandlot?

Yes, if you allow it. Under the Privacy settings, look for the following settings and set them accordingly:
    • You can use video for communications
    • You can communicate outside of Xbox Live with voice & text
    • Others can communicate with voice, text, or invites
    I found a bug, or something isn't working right!

There are likely going to be some bugs or odd behaviors for Minecraft: Bedrock Edition players. If something isn't working as you would expect, you can ask a helper for assistance in-game, or post in our Bug Reports forum.

Once again, thank you for your patience as we start this new adventure together!

• Winner Winner x 13
    • Beautiful Beautiful x 3
  2. trubuhl

trubuhl The Stinky Sock Moderator Elder VIP

So this means that for those who want a TRUE challenge, now you can play on Hard server on your phone. Good luck :)

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 5
  3. KRiskKaT

KRiskKaT Piecing it together Moderator Elder Helper VIP

It took me a bit to connect. Initially I had to use a VPN, but then following the advice in this thread made it much easier. I can connect on all my devices.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AndromedaJulie

AndromedaJulie Official Namer of Pets Helper

Just confirming, Bedrock also includes Chromebooks, is that correct?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. c0wg0d

That is a great question! I believe it should as of the Trails and Tales update, but I don't have a Chromebook to test it. If you have one, please try it and let me know how it goes!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. AndromedaJulie

AndromedaJulie Official Namer of Pets Helper

Hmm. I'll have to purchase it specifically, so I may wait to see if someone else knows!

• Like Like x 2
  7. SwaggYgObLin

SwaggYgObLin Expert

this is the best news of my life

This may be a silly question, but how do I whitelist my Bedrock account so that I can have access to Sandlot Bedrock?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  8. KRiskKaT

Apply as usual (or ask a parent if under13). You’ll need a different email address for it. Mention your current account so we can keep track :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ebsidian

Ebsidian Fantasy Writer

A thank you to all the mods who made this possible! I have been following along the news updates like many other players all the while the idea has been public, and it is truly amazing to see this be fully instated.

I have already been playing on bedrock here on my Nintendo Switch, and such you may find me in-game on the Switch as .Virexety :D

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  10. trubuhl

trubuhl The Stinky Sock Moderator Elder VIP

By the way, if your Windows PC does not run regular Java Minecraft very fast you might consider giving Bedrock a try. In my limited experience the performance is significantly better. Your mileage may vary. The two versions are very very similar in Windows, but you can feel some differences. Water is very blue in Bedrock :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Beautiful Beautiful x 1
  11. alex7ktrc

alex7ktrc Sandloticus Maximus Helper

I wanted to call out how well explained this post is. Well done @c0wg0d , masterfully written and explained!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ElleMouse

ElleMouse Master Farmer Helper

This post is still useful to me--today I referred back to it so I could help a bedrock player who wanted to see where others were at. I had forgotten they need to use the /glist command.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. .CheeryCelery866

.CheeryCelery866 Craftsman

yes it does work on Chromebook! My kids were so excited that they could finally play it on ours.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. .CheeryCelery866

.CheeryCelery866 Craftsman

yes it does! My kids play on our Chromebook.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. fancyfinn9

fancyfinn9 The Good Grammar Guy

Thank you so much for this, c0w and all the other mods and admins! My younger sister, who plays on our tablet, might finally be able to play with me, @Charizard67 and @Clefairy8 on the Sandlot! Thanks again!! :)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. c0wg0d

We are having a trial run where Bedrock players can play on all servers. Hooray!

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. VolgaLVI

VolgaLVI The Prowler of Posts Elder Helper VIP

Awesome! Does this include balancing changes to PvP where Bedrock users have attack cooldowns, can’t speed bridge, etc…?

• Like Like x 2
  18. c0wg0d

No. We don't have any practical way to do that. This trial run is merely to determine if the advantages cause a problem. I do not think that it will, since Bedrock (except on PC) has many disadvantages that negate any advantage they would have from things like speed bridging--mostly having to use touch controls or a controller vs. a mouse and keyboard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. KRiskKaT

Let the games begin :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. PipWil

PipWil Look out for the PipWil!

I presume this is a reference to windows 10 edition. Dose this mean is it now more optimal for pvp to use bedrock edition on pc?

• Informative Informative x 2